× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1750 hard wired ethernet connection

p27159
Tutor

AC1750 hard wired ethernet connection

I am trying to use the ethernet jack on the AC1750 Dual Band WiFi Mesh Extender EX6250, and for some reason the laptop that I connect to it doesn't get internet access.  When I remove the wired connection and connect via WiFi, it does work, but for reasons I don't want to get into here, I would prefer a wired connection for this case.  is there something special I need to do besides just plugging the cable in and expecting it to work automatically?  When I plug in the cable at both ends, I see the green LED lit at the ethernet jack on the extender, and I see a green solidly lit LED and an amber blinking LED on my laptop.  Also, eventually I got a screen come up on my laptop that says something about extender setup, but I already did a setup and I know the extender is working because my wifi signals near it are better than they were without it.  I just can't seem to do the wired connection that I think this thing can do (per page 18 of the User Manual), but that manual doesn't give a lot of info how to do it.  Thanks if anyone can help.

Model: EX6250|AC1750-WIFI MESH EXTENDER
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
p27159
Tutor

UPDATE: It turns out that my extender wasn't actually linking to the router AT ALL, so I didn't even have wifi capability working with it!  I noticed the LEDs were turned off, it probably dropped the connection at some point and never re-established it (no wonder our wifi reception upstairs seemed to get worse), so I reconfigured it and we not only have much better wifi, I was also able to hard wire to the ethernet jack and operate my laptop that way (although with our improved wifi, I might not even need to do that anymore).

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and sorry I wasted your time now that I figured out the solutions.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
wcalifas
Prodigy

So let me get this right, you have that router set up as an extender correct? If you have it set up as an extender (access point) you won't be able to get internet through hard wired ethernet connection since you turned it into an extender (access point).

Message 2 of 13
p27159
Tutor

I was afraid that might be the case.  So you are saying this unit can be used as a main router or an extender, and if it was a main router, then you can use the ethernet jack for a hardwired connection in that case, but not if it's configured as an extender?  That wasn't clear at all from the owner's manual on page 18.  But thanks for letting me know.

Message 3 of 13
wcalifas
Prodigy

Well I haven't used that model as an access point, but when I've had other routers as access points I knew that I couldn't use the ethernet ports to give me internet, and only through wifi I was able to use them.
Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

What router are you connecting it to? 

You're setting it up in extender mode? 

And just wanting to connect a device via ethernet to the extender?

If so, that should work. I've done it numerous times. 

Just clarifying based off the prior responses. 

Message 5 of 13
p27159
Tutor

PLEASE SEE MY RESPONSES IN ALL CAPS TO YOUR QUESTIONS, PLUS MY LAST STATEMENT BELOW:

What router are you connecting it to?   NETGEAR R6250 is our main router that connects directly to the cable modem

You're setting it up in extender mode?   YES, THE AC1750 IS SET UP FOR EXTENDER MODE

And just wanting to connect a device via ethernet to the extender?  YES, I WAS HOPING TO HAVE A HARD WIRED CONNECTION TO THE EXTENDER.  THERE IS ONE AREA OF THE HOUSE THAT STILL DOESN'T GET GOOD WIFI AND I NEED TO WORK ON MY LAPTOP THERE TEMPORARILY AND FIGURED A HARD WIRED CONNECTION WOULD WORK.

SO, IF THIS IS POSSIBLE, CAN YOU HELP WITH WHY I MAY NOT BE ABLE TO GET THIS TO WORK PRESENTLY

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

By you're wanting the extender hardwired, are you saying you want the extender hardwired to the router or you're wanting to hardwire a pc/laptop/device to the extender? 

If you're hardwiring the extender into your router, it needs to be in access point mode. 

Message 7 of 13
p27159
Tutor

The extender should communicate with the router via wifi.  We would like to hard wire a laptop to the extender.  As I said, we are unable to connect to the internet this way right now.  if I hard wire the same laptop to the router, it works fine, or it works fine via wifi, where it has adequate reception, but for the one part of the house I want to use it, reception is still spotty but it is closer to the extender than the router, hence my desire to hardwire to the extender, if that's possible, and if so, I need help trying to figure out why it isn't working now.  All I get is a screen from netgear with something about configuring the extender, which I already have done previously

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

What firmware is on the router?

Message 9 of 13
p27159
Tutor

modem is Arris Surfboard SB6141. How can I find out about what firmware version I have for the router?

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

If you log into the router and look at the status page. It should have firmware version. 

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the router and the extender and installing clean?

Message 11 of 13
p27159
Tutor

Thank you for continuing this dialogue.  My firmware version is V1.0.4.38 for the ROUTER. I don't know what it is for the extender, but since i bought the extender about a couple of months ago, and i am pretty sure I got the latest firmware at that time, the extender firmware should be curent.

I just went to the Netgear Genie tool (where I found the router firmware version) and they have something to check for the latest firmware for the router.  According to that tool, I have the latest.

As far as doing a factory reset and starting clean, I am afraid to do that, with the possibility that it might create other problems and i can be worse off than I am now.  At least things are "ok" presently, even if I can't do the hard wire to the extender, it might still be "passable" on wifi, but I am going to have to try it out for an extended time period to see for myself.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions for making this work besides starting from scratch, please let me know.  Thanks!

Message 12 of 13
p27159
Tutor

UPDATE: It turns out that my extender wasn't actually linking to the router AT ALL, so I didn't even have wifi capability working with it!  I noticed the LEDs were turned off, it probably dropped the connection at some point and never re-established it (no wonder our wifi reception upstairs seemed to get worse), so I reconfigured it and we not only have much better wifi, I was also able to hard wire to the ethernet jack and operate my laptop that way (although with our improved wifi, I might not even need to do that anymore).

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and sorry I wasted your time now that I figured out the solutions.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7