Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted

AMBER Internet light fixed when MAC is changed Happens off and on

For some reason it does acts up from time to time and the Internet light goes amber and will NEVER change back despite having an internet connection BUT when I change the last hexdecimal from AF to AE it is happy and plays fair. Apprently AF is not liked by the router. (THE DEFAULT MAC ADDRESS) The ISP cannot figure out why it does this and may be a BUG with the router itself. EVERYTIME. I have Fiber To The Home and is connected via ethernet port on my wall that goes to an ONT at the ODN terminal in the utility closet of my building. This is a problem since day 1 with this router last year I had to change my mac address to fix the AMBER LIGHT issue. I am using windows 10 but that part is not the issue it is the ROUTER. I have upgraded the firmware to the most current 1.0.1.22_1.0.17 and that did not change anything. As changing the MAC allows it to be work. They have my MAC in the system however, this apparently does not help. 

If there is a solution to this problem it is not on here I did search and other suggesstions were make sure it is set to dynamic mode etc. I have a STATIC IP from my ISP. I did try dynamic and it would not PULL an IP but changing the MAC and guess what IT PULLED AN IP. The issue is the ROUTER not the Internet connection UNLESS the MAC ending in AF is a problem. If this is the case then I will see if my ISP will replace my router if not then I will have to go buy from another router company as I cannot trust NETGEAR to not BUG OUT like this. I been a loyal netgear user for 20 years (From switches to wifi) and I hate to leave but your products have gone down hill.

Please Help

David

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted

Re: AMBER Internet light fixed when MAC is changed Happens off and on

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

I have upgraded the firmware to the most current 1.0.1.22_1.0.17 and that did not change anything.

Did you factory reset after the firmware flash? This is recommended and sometimes essential.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted

Yes I did. I always do this. So this is an issue still even though I did a full reset (using the reset button hold down till factory reset) and that did NOT help.

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Hi David,

Trying to understand what is (not) going on - so just anohter community member, not Netgear here...

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

For some reason it does acts up from time to time and the Internet light goes amber and will NEVER change back despite having an internet connection

The router does work normally configured to the default MAC and a static IP address on the Internet side _or_ a dynamically (but fixed) IP config from the ISP until the Internet LED turns amber for no obvious reason, because you state there is an Internet connection ... so the problem is only an aparently faux indication of the Internet LED?

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

I have a STATIC IP from my ISP. I did try dynamic and it would not PULL an IP but changing the MAC and guess what IT PULLED AN IP.

On dynamic, is it possible your ISP has the :AF Mac registered to be static and for not assigning an IP configuration to the Internet interface?

Or does the above happen on dynamic, and the Internet interface DHCP lease can't be renewed, and does finanly expire, and the router does fall-back to 0.0.0.0?

I understand that changing the MAC to the non-default :AE ending does permit the DHCP Internet interface network configuration again.

-Kurt

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted

No it is not set up like that with my ISP. They are kinda OLD school here. This problem happened before and they could NOT figure it out at all. This issue seems to be a problem with the R6400 as my nephew too expiereneced a time when he had to turn off HIS R6400 for a day to get it to work again and we are both in the same town on the same ISP on the same WAN with FTTH. I believe that this may be an issue with the model. I spent a lot of money on this router and this happens? I do not understand why it does this and no one could ever figure it out not last year when it happened not now. And I shouldn't have to change MAC ADDRESSES to get it to work. As long as it is not on AF (175 decimal). I have it set to 174 (AE) right now and it is fine. It is an issue that needs searching. It was not an issue till very recently so I do not know where the BUG is. Here with me, at the Central office or at the ISP... 

I do not think this is an easy fix.... as I do not know where the problem lies.

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted

If this were a consistent issuer with the R6400, it would probably have come up here before.

I wonder if changing the Mac address is the issue, and not what you change it to.

Do the login logs show anythings strange happening?

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

Yes I did. I always do this.

You didn't mention that. It always helps to provide as much information as possible. That wastes less time and cuts to the chase without needing a long conversation.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

No it is not set up like that with my ISP. They are kinda OLD school here.

Good. However, this does not answer any of my questions - almost a multiple choice list ...

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

This problem happened before and they could NOT figure it out at all. This issue seems to be a I do not understand why it does this and no one could ever figure it out not last year when it happened not now.

With the amber Internet LED ... what was the status of the router? Lost Internet connection or kept the Internet connection - your information in the original is unclear.

Had the router lost it's Internet IP address at that point?

What shows the router log?

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

And I shouldn't have to change MAC ADDRESSES to get it to work. As long as it is not on AF (175 decimal). I have it set to 174 (AE) right now and it is fine. It is an issue that needs searching. It was not an issue till very recently so I do not know where the BUG is. Here with me, at the Central office or at the ISP... 

I do not think this is an easy fix.... as I do not know where the problem lies.

When you change the MAC address two things happen:

- The Internet interface will be reconfigured, some services might be restarted.
- The ISP infrastructure will see a different device (or interface at least).

This is why I had crafted some specific questions...

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted

As I said I HAD A STATIC IP in it and this is not MAC based. The logs shows nothing about it having errors, AND the internet WORKED. Just that the Internet light goes AMBER. But still works. I am able to connec to websites and have full speeds. This like I said is a very very strange bug and It stops when I chave it to AE. This is a very strange bug. I am about to throw this router into the trash after I smash it. -_- I am fustrated with this issue. If the INTERNET light goes AMBER it should not work at all. However it does and this makes no sence to my ISP and myself. It is working on AE but not on its default AF which is weird. I will never buy another Netgear again because of this issue. A $150.00 router and it craps out like this, I am disappointed with it and Netgear lost a lot of points over this buggy router. I bet if I go install WRT on it it will work flawlessly. The firmware from Netgear isn't without bugs it seems. This has gone on for 2 firmware upgrades so I do not know what is up. 

I live in Montana in a rural town. The only way to stop the AMBER light is to change the MAC and once that was done it works flawless. So what does this leave the ONT, Central Office (Phone company), and ISP.  I am displeased with how the AC router is working. I do not think there will ever be a solution to this OTHER than changing the MAC on it to solve the amber light issue. (Mind you I had internet connection the entire time it was amber) And when I rebooted before the MAC change, it took 5 minutes after it reconnected to the internet to change to white just to go back to amber again 3 minutes later....... So I had a choice live with the annoying amber light or change the MAC and make the connection happy..

I really do not know what is wrong, the phone company AND ISP both do not know what is going on they said it should not be working if that light is amber which is true even tho it was working. Netgear tech needs to help in this situation or I should just take it off line and never use it again. Go buy a cheap N router from Belkin or D-Link or Cisco... my older non AC netgear DID NOT have this issue so I really do not know what to do other than get rid of this garbage router.

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted

@Suntop_Kinseeke wrote:

As I said I HAD A STATIC IP in it and this is not MAC based. The logs shows nothing about it having errors, AND the internet WORKED. Just that the Internet light goes AMBER. But still works. I am able to connec to websites and have full speeds.

So you could just ignore the orange light and get on with your life.

I had a similar issue with Windows. Its network thing in the Windows notification area showed "No Internet". That was a lie. I learned to live with it. Haven't seen it in some time.

Just another user.

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Once the Internet interface MAC address was changed, the problem with the amber LED does no longer show up?

In any case, this seems to be a specific issue with this model, probably in combination with the ISP infrastructure - so Netgear has to troubleshoot the cause for the faux indicator.

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Master

Is it possible that it is not a fault with either the isp or router but the combination of the required settings of the isp and the router do not see eye to eye since they say that there is full internet speed and it works even with the interent led amber which you would think no internet access. It may be a issue of a coding on either party but seems only to affect a led color and not the service that only can be seen on their isp and the r6400 router.

Message 11 of 11