Absolutely stumped on internet dropping with new netgear router and new modem.
I recieved a Netgear R6260 wireless router a couple weeks ago. About a week before that, I got a new Cisco DPC3216 modem from my ISP, Spectrum.
Before getting the Netgear, I had a Linksys route that works flawlessly, yet now with the New year I'm having daily (sometimes several times a day) drops of connection.
The only thing that will restore connection is a powercycles of the modem and the router.
On a call with Spectrum, they 'reset' the modem from their end but could not identify a reason for the drops. On a call to Netgear they could not identify a problem and suggested that I plug the modem directly to my desktop and just wait to see if the dropped connection happens. Yes, obviously, I could do that, but I have wireless devices for my work that need as much of a constant connection as possible. So running off on what could be a wild goose chase like that could prove to be troublesome.
Anyhow. The rep from Netgear seemed to suggest that the
modem could possibly not be providing correct IP addresses or something. I don't know if that means anything, really. It just seems like he was guessing.
I am not very knowledgeable about these sorts of things, but I'll try my best to provide any information needed to try to get this thing figured out if anyone can help.
Re: Absolutely stumped on internet dropping with new netgear router and new modem.
The goal the rep was trying to get to was to determine if it was a modem issue or a router issue. hardwiring into the modem and watching for drops would help isolate that to be the issue. Your isp resetting the device won't fix issues if they're related to signal interference or the modem itself. And they might say the line looks great over the phone but it might not. It costs them $ to send techs out so they resist a lot. So lets do our best to figure out which device is the culprit.
So things to help us help you.
1. What firmware is your router on?
2. Can you take a screen shot of your modems link connection page and the logs page?
3. When you say it drops connections. Define this more. Is it not connecting to wireless, is it connecting to wireless but giving an "internet not available" message, etc. Just trying to figure out if the wifi isn't connecting or if its connecting but now working.
4. When it drops connection, do ethernet connected devices still work?
5. When it drops, can you log into the router gui to see the connections page?
6. When it drops, what are the led's on the router doing? The led's on the modem?
here's your support page with firmware, manuals, install guides.If you do update the firmware, make sure to do it over a hardwired connection and to reset afterward. this gives the best results.