× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point Mode Blocks Certain Sites/Apps (Discord and Amazon Prime Video)

JSano19
Follower

Access Point Mode Blocks Certain Sites/Apps (Discord and Amazon Prime Video)

I am attempting to use an old R6200 as a wired access point connected to a  Verizon Quantum Gateway router.  When I setup the R6200 and plug a connection from the Verizon Quantum Gateway to the WAN port of the R6200, it automatically changes the IP to 10.0.0.1, but anything connected to the R6200 will get a 10.0.0.x address and be able to access all of the internet just fine.  However, I was unable to communicate between my devices that were in the 10.0.0.x subnet to the devices directly connected to the Verizon Quantum Gateway (in the 192.168.1.x subnet).

So, like the original plan all along, I enabled the access point mode for the R6200.  This made it so it obtained an IP address via DHCP from the verizon gateway, all devices could communicate despite which router they were connected to, internet SEEMED to work at first glance, I was happy.  However, I realized that my Discord would not login.  I could access most other apps I tried and seemed to be ablet to access all websites, so I thought maybe Discord was down.

However, I then went ot watch a video on Amazon Prime Video.  The Prime Video website loaded up correctly, showed me my account, let me choose my show, then my episode and began to play, but just spun and spun and spun.  The background normally changes to the show in question, this did not happen, just a spinning wheel.  Internet speed test showed a connection of about 300mbp down and 250 mbp up, Youtube vidoes played just fine at the highest quality, it was strange.

I went back into the router setting in the 192.168.1.x subnet, unchecked the box for Enable AP, hit apply, after a while, message popped up that the router again changed it's IP to a 10.0.0.1 address, my computer now was on a 10.0.0.x subnet, and immediately Discord signed in, and the  Amazon Prime video started to play.

So as crazy as it seems, using the router as intended in AP mode seems to block certain items, but not enabling AP mode forces it onto a different subnet where the devices cannot communicate with each other.  And yes, desperately tried to leave the AP mode off and set a staic IP in the same subnet with an address of 192.168.1.2, but the router just won't let me as it "conflicts" with the main WAN (despite having changed the Verizon Quantum Gateway DHCP range from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.254...nothing I do will allow me to static IP the R6200 in the same subnet of the Verizon Router withough specifically enabling access point mode).

TLDR:

- R6200 directly connected to Verizon Quantum Gatway, auto changes R6200 IP to 10.0.0.1, all internet works, but devices unable to communicate with other subnet

- R6200 in AP mode, all devices can communicate, but certain sites (Discord, and Amazon Prime Video) no longer work

Any ideas?

Model: R6200|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7