× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Access Point - cannot reach routerlogin

AdrianL
Aspirant

Access Point - cannot reach routerlogin

Hi there!

(I have no real previous experience with access points and the like so excuse me for my lack of knowledge haha..)

I bought a NETGEAR Access Point (WAC104) a few days ago and I just can't seem to get access to the routerlogin. The AP is connected to my router via an ethernet cable and when I in turn connect my devices to the AP via either cable or WiFi it seems to work great. The internet speeds are pretty much the same as my router so no complaining there.

The problem is that the AP's WiFi of course has a very generic name and password and I would like to change that for security reasons. However, writing down the labeled IP of the access point in my browser doesn't work - it just doesn't load and routerlogin doesn't work either ('You may not be connected to your router's WiFi network'). Clearing the browser's cache doesn't help.

Using cmd > ipconfig and using the GateWay IP brings me to the control panel of my router (different brand; Fritz!BOX). Of course it makes sense that the gateway is the same as my router as it's basically the same network but I'd still like to change the AP's WiFi passwords. Is there any way to reach NETGEARS control panel when you're using an AC and your router is from a different brand?

Hopefully it's not too vague, haha. If I need to give some more info, I'd be happy to.

Thank you so much in advance!

Adrian

Model: WAC104|Dual Band 802.11ac 
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
AdrianL
Aspirant

Re: Access Point - cannot reach routerlogin

Thank you so much for the reply, antinode!

A friend of mine just managed to figure it out for me. In case anyone ever comes across this post, here's how we did it;

We went into the command prompt (cmd) and wrote down 'arp -a' (Windows laptop). Then it was basically a matter of writing down the IP addresses in one of those MAC Adress Lookup sites until one of them mentioned NETGEAR.
That IP adress directed me to NETGEAR's routerlogin and I was able to login using 'admin' as the username and 'password' as.. well.. the password.

No idea if any of this makes sense but it worked for me, haha. The IP listed on the label on the back of the access point didn't work and all the basic ones didn't either - probably because my router already assigned an IP and Gateway.

Cheers!

Adrian

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> However, writing down the labeled IP of the access point in my browser
> doesn't work [...]

"the labeled IP of the access point"?  Which is what?  And what's the
IP address of your computer with the web browser?

When you connect a wireless access point to your (unspecified) "my
router", the WAP might use DHCP to get a new IP address from (the DHCP
server in) your (unspecified) "my router".  If your (unspecified) "my
router" provides an "Attached Devices" or "DHCP Clients" or similar
report, then you might discover the new address of the WAP there.

> [...] routerlogin doesn't work either ('You may not be connected to
> your router's WiFi network'). [...]

That's typically a DNS problem:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1976674

> [...] it makes sense that the gateway is the same as my router as it's
> basically the same network [...]

More than "basically".  But, if you can discover the new address of
the WAP, then that should work from anyplace on your (one big) LAN.

> [...] and your router is from a different brand?

Wouldn't matter.  You could have the same trouble with any router.

Message 2 of 3
AdrianL
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the reply, antinode!

A friend of mine just managed to figure it out for me. In case anyone ever comes across this post, here's how we did it;

We went into the command prompt (cmd) and wrote down 'arp -a' (Windows laptop). Then it was basically a matter of writing down the IP addresses in one of those MAC Adress Lookup sites until one of them mentioned NETGEAR.
That IP adress directed me to NETGEAR's routerlogin and I was able to login using 'admin' as the username and 'password' as.. well.. the password.

No idea if any of this makes sense but it worked for me, haha. The IP listed on the label on the back of the access point didn't work and all the basic ones didn't either - probably because my router already assigned an IP and Gateway.

Cheers!

Adrian
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7