Access usb storage through iphone?

davidm71
Aspirant

Access usb storage through iphone?

Wondering if its possible to access the USB storage drive through the iphone or ipad to save documents?

Thank you.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Access usb storage through iphone?

Maybe you need to find some FTP app ...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 7
davidm71
Aspirant

I saw that Netgear has a readynas app for the iphone. Not sure if its compatible with WNDR3700...

Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I don't use either of 3700 or readyshare so I can not confirm but 3700 uses readyshare method although may not work but you can try
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 7
GAtkins
Aspirant

The iPhone app FTPOnTheGo will work.

My USB drive was formatted NTFS (I know, I know) which may be read only with the WNDR3700 under that file format, but I'm not sure

I finally added a Buffalo NAS and hung my USB drive off of it, at which point I then discovered the read only NTFS thing on the Buffalo.

I did not test ReadyShare under different file formats but may eventually.

You might try FTPOnTheGo with an other than NTFS file format on a USB drive connected to the WNDR3700 to see if it works with both read/write and let us know. I would really like to know if this works. I think the program has a Lite version.

FileZilla works great as a desktop client as does ClassicFTP, both free, but I like FileZilla better.

Hope this helps some.

Glenn
Message 5 of 7
TheEE
Follower

Please forgive my newbie questions but netgear support has been somewhere between tedious and completely unhelpful. I simply want to transfer files directly from my iPhone to an external hard drive connected to my netgear router via usb. After several go-rounds with support I was told to download an FTP app. I've downloaded both what claims to be filezilla and what claims to be FTPOnTheGo. Neither came with directions. I can't get either to work and it's probably because I have the wrong address or password. Here are some questions and I'd be grateful for any help. 1. When the app asks for the server address does it want the router or the hard drive? 2. I'm using this format to enter the address: 192.168.1.1. Is that right format? 3. When the app wants a password is that the password I use to connect devices to the router? For what it's worth I've tried all combinations of these and none work. Or at least I can't see the hard drive with my iPhone.
Message 6 of 7
Scottyboy99
Aspirant

I use the 'filebrowser' app. I am not sure about uploads but I use it all the time to access my readyshare and NAS drive files. Download pics vids and music with ease. It uses the SMB shares rather than FTP. it's easy, just launch it and let it scan for NAS drives. Your readyshare should be in the list and you won't need a password. I think it might cost a couple quid.

For FTP access I use 'FTP Client pro'. When accessing your readyshare drive you simply type in the address box:

86.xxx.xxx.xxx/shares

For the numerical access your router status page for your external IP address. Then bobs your uncle your in and able to remote access. Only trouble is your external IP address can change if you don't have a fixed one. It happens rarely but fortunately I use another webcam app which dynamically tracks my IP so I can find out if it changes.

That's how I do it. I don't use passwords or anything. I probably should but then I don't store ultra ultra sensitive data on this particular hard drive.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E