× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Add more ports to router on network

Pnkoszut
Aspirant

Add more ports to router on network

I am purchasing a home that provides wired cat5 connections to each room, allowing 10-20 wired connections. I will be using a wireless router that allows only 5 wired devices, ie: tv's, video game systems, computers. How do I add more ports to my wireless router to allow me to hard wire more devices?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Add more ports to router on network

You can purchase a Gigabit Ethernet switch and plug it into the router. If you need 20 ports, then you may need to step up to a business class switch. Netgear has a 24 port Gigabit switch: JGS24. It actually seems to be quite affordable.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You can purchase a Gigabit Ethernet switch and plug it into the router. If you need 20 ports, then you may need to step up to a business class switch. Netgear has a 24 port Gigabit switch: JGS24. It actually seems to be quite affordable.

Message 2 of 4
Pnkoszut
Aspirant

Would any particular type of unmanaged switch be more or less advantagous since I am connecting a variety of differrent types of devices such as Xbox's, computers, TV's and so forth?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

There are features like QoS (802.1p), jumbo frame support, buffer size, and overall throughput that you can shop for.  But for a basic, home environment, where the majority of use is going to be Internet access, then I'd say these features are not going to be all that important. They only significant if you do a LOT of data transfers between home computers.

If you do end up buying a 24 port switch, it'll probably be a business class switch and will have a decent featureset, anyway.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7