Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Additional LAN & security router features

I would like to have the following router options for LAN network and security configuration:

(1)
More flexibility in the definition of IP range and DHCP range (that products from other manufacturers offer): Currently the router automatically selects the subnet for the DHCP server. So if you set the Ip range for the network to (a) 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.0.0 or (B) 10.0.0.1 / 255.0.0.0 the DHCP server serving IPs in the range (a) 192.168.0.x, respectively (b) 10.0.0.x. You cannot set the subnet for the router to (a) 192.168.1.x or (b) 10.1.1.x. It it quite a painful restriction, that you cannot choose the subnet for the DHCP server.

(2)
More over, it would be nice, if one could set different LAN and DHCP settings for the different networks (wired, 'private' wireless and guest wireless network). So one you have the wired and 'private' wireless networks in the range 10.x.x.x and the guest wireless network in the range 192.168.x.x.

(3)
What is also missing, the possibility to manage (allow / deny) devices in the network based on their MAC address. E.g. to allow only devices with specific MAC-addresses in the network. Also here, it might be a nice feature, to have different settings for wired, private wireless and guest networks.

(4)
Lastly does anyone know how the router is handling VPN connections (in-/outbound)? Does it support VPN passthrough?
Message 1 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: Additional LAN & security router features

1- you should able to change it .

2- no with home end routers. With prosecure models you can with separate VLAN and dchp on each VLAN. ( prosecure.netgear.com)

3- Ip/ Mac address binding is avialble in prosafe and prosecure routers

4- 4500 ONLY support VPN passthrough for VPN client behind to Connie to remote VPN terminator
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jmizoguchi

Thanks for your reply.

jmizoguchi wrote:
1- you should able to change it .

How? In the DHCP section I am only able to edit the fourth number-block. The first three are grayed out.

jmizoguchi wrote:
2- no with home end routers. With prosecure models you can with separate VLAN and dchp on each VLAN. ( prosecure.netgear.com)

3- Ip/ Mac address binding is avialble in prosafe and prosecure routers

Pity. Other manufacturers like Zyxel and Linksys offer that also for consumer models.

jmizoguchi wrote:
4- 4500 ONLY support VPN passthrough for VPN client behind to Connie to remote VPN terminator

You can't run a VPN server behind the router? That would be crap... I have to try it out though...
Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

You can run own VPN server behind router with proper ports are opened
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
You can run own VPN server behind router with proper ports are opened

Thanks. Sounds reasonable...

If you have figured out a way to do, what I described in (1), I would be grateful.

Concerning (3) - I checked, all my older Wireless Routers - even my very old low-end Apple Airport Express supports filtering devices based on MAC addresses... So I think it's pretty standard...

(2) wold still be nice ;o)
Message 5 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

already answered for #1 solution....

and #2 are less to see on home end router unless third party like DD-WRT can do that..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jmizoguchi

Thanks for the hint with DD-WRT...

Actually I submitted my feature request to Netgear Support before posting to this forum. They told me I rather post it to this forum, since Netgear technicians often read feature requests and might include them in future software updates. Anyway... we don't have to carry this thing longer than necessary...

One last thing concerning the my topic one... You answered for (1) with «you should able to change it», I replied with «How? In the DHCP section I am only able to edit the fourth number-block. The first three are grayed out.» - If there's a way to do it, please enlighten me I would be grateful. Of the four address parts (or octets - if you will) only the last can be edited in the DHCP Server section. Maybe I am missing something.

Cheers
Message 7 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

usually this is not something cause as an issues.
I think support must answer why you can not change the LAN subnet to desire IP. there is really not special trick for changing it Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

so you say, Netgear Support just dodged my question by diverting me to this forum... nice ;o)))
Message 9 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

changing IP are no brainier as you know so not sure how much I can help you Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are right...

I submitted my question back to Netgear support again, and hope they are more helpful this time ;o)

Thanks for you help, and cheers!
Message 11 of 17
Highlighted
Apprentice

kip wrote:
Concerning (3) - I checked, all my older Wireless Routers - even my very old low-end Apple Airport Express supports filtering devices based on MAC addresses... So I think it's pretty standard...

If you are referring to MAC Address Filtering, that feature should be there. It may be under the heading of MAC Address Access Control List or ACL.

The confusion :confused: may be that your suggestion in (3) of your first post was in fact two-part :eek: , as per...

Part I
What is also missing, the possibility to manage (allow / deny) devices in the network based on their MAC address. E.g. to allow only devices with specific MAC-addresses in the network.

Part II
Also here, it might be a nice feature, to have different settings for wired, private wireless and guest networks.

IMHO, the above may have lead to a jmizoguchi focusing and answering Part II whereas you seem to be mainly referring to Part I. Smiley Wink

Netgear Support just dodged my question by diverting me to this forum

That may or may not be so. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember somsubhro (I think that's the name) mentioning that they were taking a different approach as regards forum involvement. How much that will be I don't know. He seems to be referring to only the WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 forums though and there is already limited evidence of that. The other thought may be that once level 1 or 2 tech support sees an easier way to "pass the buck" they could possibly be doing so - it's almost to be expected as human nature now. Smiley Wink
Message 12 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

More flexibility in the definition of IP range and DHCP range (that products from other manufacturers offer): Currently the router automatically selects the subnet for the DHCP server. So if you set the Ip range for the network to (a) 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.0.0 or (B) 10.0.0.1 / 255.0.0.0 the DHCP server serving IPs in the range (a) 192.168.0.x, respectively (b) 10.0.0.x. You cannot set the subnet for the router to (a) 192.168.1.x or (b) 10.1.1.x. It it quite a painful restriction, that you cannot choose the subnet for the DHCP server.

Last issues OP asking simple change in the LAN Subnet

Access list is only for wireless client only which most all router but if you are looking for both wired and wireless to control then router can only one thing

Most Effective way to control is ip/Mac address binding where you can fully allow or block with prosafe.

Router that you maybe interested is fvs318N. It has all the bell the whistle you will be happy with
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 13 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Joe

thanks for the clarification... You are right. I was referring to ACLs. But as far as I remember I couldn't find such a section in the settings... I just tested the router and don't have it running for the moment as I am waiting for some other hardware, before I replace my Linksys router with the WNDR4500. I will check again...

Concerning support: I posted my original request to support concerning this DHCP address issue as a feature request... After the discussion with jmizoguchi, I re-posted the same issue as a bug... We'll see how they react Smiley Wink

Cheers
Message 14 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Access list is only for wireless client only which most all router but if you are looking for both wired and wireless to control then router can only one thing

Most Effective way to control is ip/Mac address binding where you can fully allow or block with prosafe.

Router that you maybe interested is fvs318N. It has all the bell the whistle you will be happy with

ACLs would do the trick in my case (but I think that's not available, but I'll check it when I reconnect the device), and I'll look into fvs318N. Thanks for the suggestion...
Message 15 of 17
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Access list for wireless is ther for Netgear router for sure
I just does not have capable to do wired devices

I think you will like fvs318n. More features you will need
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 17
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR4500 LAN/USB no link is detected on these ports, the LEDS do not light up with devices connected. I've tried everything. :confused:. Any suggestions?
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements