Address Reservation not working on DGN2000

Milleniumaire
Aspirant

Address Reservation not working on DGN2000

Hi, I've been using my new DGN2000 for a couple of weeks now and have attempted to setup Address Reservation LAN web page. I have a number of devices that connect but none of them are retaining their IP address when they are rebooted. Even attempting a Windows Repair, in theory, should drop and reassign the IP address, but it isn't getting the pre-assigned address. I can see the devices are attached and the MAC addresses are correct.

Any idea what is happening? I had this working perfectly on my old Netgear DM602 modem, which unfortunately died after 5.5 years of use.

The firmware version is 1.1.1 and there don't appear to be any updates for the UK (only 1.3.7NA for North America).
Message 1 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: Address Reservation not working on DGN2000

Have you tried power cycling the router after setting up the address reservations?
Message 2 of 14
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

Hi Andy, I can confirm the router has been powered off and on since I set them up.

Should the Starting IP address and Ending IP address exclude the range of IP addresses in the address reservation table? On my old DM602 it didn't matter what this range was set to.

When a device connected to the router I would expect the logic to be as follows:
- Look up MAC address of device in address reservation table.
- If found assign reserved IP address
- If not found, determine the range of IP addresses to be allocated
- Assign next unused IP address within that range.
Message 3 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

make sure address reservation is within the DHCP range
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 14
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

Yes, my reserved ip addresses are within the start and end range.

I deleted all the reserved addresses and started adding them one at a time, going to each pc and refreshing the IP address to see if it got the right one. So far this seems to be working.

The other difference is setting the IP addresses up in ascending sequence i.e. 1st one set up is 192.168.0.2, next one is 192.168.0.3. Before I simply had them in any random sequence. I know this shouldn't matter to the router but it does seem to be working and I do remember doing this on my old DM602 modem. In fact I have a screen dump of the setup of my old modem and it shows the IP addresses in ascending sequence in the reservation table.
Message 5 of 14
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

Just when I thought everything was working well, I've just noticed my laptop and another desktop on my network are no longer using the IP addresses that have been reserved.

Grrrrrrrrr, this is causing me problems as I need to make sure some of my PC's ALWAYS use the same IP addresses and I would prefer not to set them up as static IP addresses.

It seems that this functionality on the DGN2000 just doesn't work, whereas it worked perfectly for years on my old WGT624 router.

Would someone from Netgear please explain why this isn't working.
:mad:
Message 6 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you might want to contact support on this
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 14
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

I've raised an online technical submission with Netgear so I'll report back what they say.
Message 8 of 14
Milleniumaire
Aspirant

I've just spoken to Netgear technical support about this issue. They suggested the problem might be due to the fact that I haven't setup my devices to use static IP addresses :confused:. They told me that the address reservation table is used to simply prevent certain IP addresses from being allocated to devices.

I suggested if this was the case, then the address reservation table would simply be a list of IP addresses and the MAC addresses wouldn't be needed!

My understanding is that the address reservation table is a mechanism in which DHCP is used to assign specific IP addresses to machines (network cards) identified by their MAC address. It therefore isn't necessary to manually setup static IP addresses on those machines as they should be using DHCP to cause the router to assign the pre-defined addresses. Any MAC addresses not in the address reservation would be simply assigned the next available IP address (excluding any IP address in the table).

So assuming I use the LAN Setup table to setup address reservation as follows:
Router IP address: 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server starting address: 192.168.0.2
DHCP Server ending address: 192.168.0.254

Address Reservation Table:
192.168.0.2 DESKTOP_PC 00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE
192.168.0.3 LAPTOP_PC 00:XX:ZZ:YY:XX:UU
192.168.0.4 LINUX_PC 00:11:22:33:44:55

If DESKTOP_PC (MAC address 00:AA:BB:CC:DD:EE) is turned on and connects to the router, I would expect it to receive IP 192.168.0.2.

If ANOTHER_PC connects I would expect that to receive the first free IP address i.e. 192.168.0.5 (.3 and .4 are in the table and so are reserved).

If, eventually the LINUX_PC is turned on I would expect it to receive IP address 192.168.0.4 even though the next "available" IP address is 192.168.0.6, because MAC address 00:11:22:33:44:55 is reserved in the table.

None of the machines are set to use static IP addresses. All are setup to use DHCP.

Hope this makes sense, but it would be helpful if someone could confirm exactly how I should expect IP address reservation to work. Is it the way I described?
Message 9 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

it should push the IP to the DHCP client (pc) for you.

at least works fine for me on proafe unit. although I had ip lost issue but come back fine. for most part if you reserver it, it should provide that IP to the pc
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Tech support are wrong, everything you said about address reservation is correct.
Message 11 of 14
blanka
Novice

I am having the exact same issue. I know that this thread is pretty old but it came up on my research so I thought why not.

This feature has worked for so many years for me and I need it to work for soo many devices on my network i.e remote desktop access.

At present I have filed a netgear support request, time to see what the amazing netgear support is like? *Crikey!*
Message 12 of 14
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Is this a situation where the problem has suddenly appeared, or is it a feature you have used with an old router that does not seem to work with a new router?

DHCP address reservation can be complicated by the way the client operates, I believe MS Windows for example will request the last IP address the PC was allocated in a new DHCP request, and in that case the router will oblige, rather than issue the reserved address.

Also there is a problem with some newer versions of Windows (Vista / Win7) where the router may not be able to process the DHCP Broadcast flag.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
Message 13 of 14
ccampy
Aspirant

well on my dgn2000 i have set up address reservation and it works fine different firmware through it should look something along the lines of this

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0e0hkdm77
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E