Highlighted
Aspirant

AirPrint and IOS6

is anyone having issues using AirPrint with IOS6? I just upgraded my iPhone 4S to IOS6 and now AirPrint is not working. When trying to print the printer is not showing up. I have other Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) that I did not upgrade yet and the AirPrint is working for those devices.
Message 1 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: AirPrint and IOS6

I actually don't use Airprint capable printer but uses printopia and IOS6 works fine .

My setup is more beefy system, Prosesecure UTM , wndr3400 as AP

I can print.

If you are using USB ports on router then maybe it is possible that they have tweak some communication on airprint feature in IOS6.

I would bug report to support as well at my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

Yes, bones5050, I have the same trouble. I just got the router yesturday and did not try airprint until after the iOS upgrade today. I can not see the HP1320 which *is* listed on the NG site as a compatible airlink printer. It is plugged into my Win7 box's USB port.
I chatted with tech support, "July" was the name - #46034. This person told me the USB on the computer was not how it was supposed to work...I replied with a quote from the Airprint page in Genie that states the contrary and disconnected...that person was mis-informed and of no help, obviously.
At this point I think you may have the best clue...some contention with the new iOS 6. So, just registering my exact same problem (tho I can't say it worked with the previous iOS as I didn't try it before the upgrade).
If anyone figures this out, please post.
Message 3 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I have other Apple devices (iPhone and iPad) that I did not upgrade yet and the AirPrint is working for those devices.

Based on OP, it does prior IOS6 os sounds like new IOS6 might an issues but a

Now HP1320 likely should work , you best bet is to test with IOS5 device if you can verify the issues
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. The printer I have is a Dell P713w, which is a wireless printer. As I said I have three iPhones and one iPad. Prior to upgrading one of the phones AirPrinting worked fine on all the devices, now after upgrading one of the phones, all the devices still work with the exception of the upgraded phone. I'll try giving support a call to see if I can get this logged.

Thanks
Message 5 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

IO6 and Airprint is still working on my iPad in combination of the R6300 router and an HP LaserJet CP1515n. Try to reset your iPhone back to factory default and try again.
Message 6 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm pretty sure it is an iOS 6 incompatability. It was working fine for me from both my new iPad, old iPad 2, and my iPhone 4S right until I upgraded all. WNDR4500 and a Brother MFC. All computers can print just fine, but lost all my iOS based products with upgrade to iOS 6. How about it, Netgear.....little help here? Airprint function is major reason I bought your product.
Message 7 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

ALL you guys need to bug report the issues to support at my.netgear.com.

forum will do little for you other than sharing the issues.Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

i too have the same issue and as suggested did report the bug but i have yet to receive a response. has anyone solved the problem?
Message 9 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I would not think there will be quick fixes.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I also logged this with support as a bug. Here is the response I received..

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is A***h and I will be your support expert. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I appreciate your efforts with us. Regarding the concern, I would like to inform you that IOS6 is not yet supported by the firmware of the router R6300. Please wait for the new IOS6 supported firmware.

So we wait, I hope for not too long
Message 11 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

For that matter. Firmware usually released on quarterly base.

In situation that they might come up new release of firmware but nobody ail know..

Be patient Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

any new info?
Message 13 of 63
Highlighted
Tutor

There are two ways to print from iOS devices:

1. to print to the printers WITH native AirPrint support.

2. to print to the printers WITHOUT native Apple AirPrint support. NETGEAR Desktop Genie (not iOS or Andriod versions) is required to enable the feature.

If the issue happens with case 1, it should relate to iOS6.

If the issue happens with case 2, then it may relate to Desktop Genie.

Which case are we talking about?
Message 14 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

The problem is #2.
Message 15 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

We have updated some, but not all of our IOS devices. Those still using IOS5 can use NetGear to reach our HP K5400, but those with IOS6 cannot see any available printers.
It's pretty clearly yet another way in which Apple has messed with their client base.
Message 16 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm not a big Apple fan, but I'm not sure how this is their problem. All companies have access to the beta code and should be testing any apps they have to ensure they work with a new version of the OS. Most companies have already released updates to support IOS 6, Netgear seems to be behind in getting a compatible release to their end users. I think the blame falls to Netgear, not Apple. JMHO...
Message 17 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I had my iPad2 printing just fine to my (non airprint) Brother HL-2170W using the Genie Airprint functionality. Once I had that working I removed Fingerprint (an IOS supporting print server) and WEPRINT (a tool supplied for free by Print and Share, an IOS app); all was well. ( So you see there are actually more that 2 ways top print from your iPad Smiley Wink )

After upgrading to IOS6 the printer no longer showed up on the iPad as an airprint printer.

I searched, then contacted Netgear. On the first round of emails the tech told me that the above printer was not an Airprint enabled printer (DUH!) I asked the person to escalate, sending them a link to explain the functionality of Genie Airprint. On the second round of emails they said they were aware of the problem and were working on a fix.

Soooo, reinstalling Fingerprint (which is now Fingerprint 2 in support of IOS6) and waiting on Netgear.

RHW
Message 18 of 63
Highlighted
Tutor

It's probably a good idea to backup, restore to factory defaults, and restore the device.

That also cleans out cruft and defrags your iDevice.

If you use iTunes and iCloud (and have all your media in iTunes), it's probably also a good idea to turn of iCloud in your iDevice so your music gets resynced from your iTunes to your iDevice.
Message 19 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I spent way too much time on the phone with the dismal Netgear support on this issue today. Finally the last person via chat admitted their was a problem with iOS 6.0 and the R6300 and AirPrint. When I try to AirPrint with any device I have with 6.0 on it it gives me the message that there are no AirPrint devices available. I finally borrowed my neighbors iPad with iOS 5 on it. After loading the Netgear Genie on it the iPad found my printer and printed.

Too bad Netgear doesn't let their support staff know about this. I did email them to tell them I confirmed the problem, something an entry level tech could have figured out.
Message 20 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

HolmenV wrote:
I finally borrowed my neighbors iPad with iOS 5 on it. After loading the Netgear Genie on it the iPad found my printer and printed.

It sounds like it's an IOS 6 problem... if it works with 5 and doesn't work with 6 then that tells me it's an Apple issue. Unless you are thinking that IOS 5 is in error and IOS 6 is correct. Have you contacted Apple?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 21 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

madhatter

I have not contacted Apple nor do I intend to.

It may be an Apple iOS 6.0 problem or it may be a Netgear R6300 problem. However Netgear is the company claiming that you can make any printer AriPrint with their router. So I think they should figure out how to get it fixed and let their customers know.

Secondly Netgear customer support sucks. They need to make sure that the techs know what is going on so I don't waste 2 hours of my time on something like this.
Message 22 of 63
Highlighted
Tutor

madhatter wrote:
It sounds like it's an IOS 6 problem... if it works with 5 and doesn't work with 6 then that tells me it's an Apple issue. Unless you are thinking that IOS 5 is in error and IOS 6 is correct. Have you contacted Apple?

Tried it last night on my HP Laserjet Pro 100 and AirPrint worked just fine from my iOS6 iPhone 4s.

Just another data point, but one showing AirPrint under iOS6 works, and works with a third-party AirPrint solution.

(The HPLJP 100 allows AirPrint natively through its WiFi interface.)
Message 23 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

varase

Just to be clear on how you had this set up. You had the HPLJP 100 connected to the R6300 via the USB port. Did you also have the wifi capabilities of the HPLJP 100 turned off? Just want to make sure that it had to go through the router to print. Anything special you did in the set up of the printer with your computer that is providing information on the printer to the iPad?

Thanks
Message 24 of 63
Highlighted
Tutor

No, used AirPrint from iOS6 phone directly to HPLJ's WiFi.
Message 25 of 63
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements