Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: AirPrint and IOS6

varase

So we still haven't found an R6300 working with iOS 6 when connected into the USB port. The following from a product review website

iOS 6 problems – we’ve noticed a few features on our iPhone 5 not working correctly and we’re also hearing similar issues with previous generations running the new software. Airprint hasn’t been working that well in iOS 6 for us, which we noticed when using a Netgear router that allowed for better Airprint support with printers.
Message 26 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

HolmenV wrote:
madhatter

I have not contacted Apple nor do I intend to.

It may be an Apple iOS 6.0 problem ... So I think they (Netgear) should figure out how to get it fixed and let their customers know.

Wow, so Netgear is supposed to fix iOS 6, if it's an iOS 6 problem? Really?
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 27 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

Why don't they contact Apple and get it fixed if it's not a Netgear problem? They're the guys claiming that their router works with AirPrint, not Apple.
Message 28 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

HolmenV, have you tried Firmware Version V1.0.2.10_1.0.21
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 29 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mad

I am running v1.0.2.26_1.0.26 which per Netgear is the current firmware for the R6300. Do you really think I need to go back two versions of firmware to make AirPrint work? If iOS 6.0 worked with the old version I would think that Netgear could provide a new release that works.
Message 30 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

HolmenV wrote:
Mad

I am running v1.0.2.26_1.0.26

I can only speak for myself, and I'm not running AirPrint, but I have tried each of the two subsequent releases following V1.0.2.10_1.0.21 and I have found them to be problematic in different ways. After some pretty extensive testing I've reverted to V1.0.2.10_1.0.21 and the router is running flawlessly. Note: I am not using an AC wireless client, so can't speak to that either.
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/Disclaimer.aspx?redirecturl=http://netgeardownload.registria.co...[sku]=r6300&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300-V1.0.2.10_1.0.21.zip

There is also http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/Disclaimer.aspx?redirecturl=http://netgeardownload.registria.co...[sku]=r6300&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300-V1.0.2.14_1.0.23.zip

all of the prior firmware versions are to be found at: http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R6300

Be sure to follow these instructions:
Firmware Version
V1.0.2.10_1.0.21

follow the instructions:

To Install

Note: Do not upgrade the firmware using a wireless connection. Please perform firmware upgrade with "wired" or Ethernet connection only.

Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you will need to reenter them manually.

Download and UNZIP the firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop:

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en...ration?product[sku]=r6300&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300-V1.0.2.10_1.0.21.zip

Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Backup Settings: backup up your settings so you can recover them later if needed
Click REVERT TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS

Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Firmware Upgrade: Click Browse and find the firmware file you just downloaded.

Click UPLOAD: Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step.

After the upload is complete, wait another 60 seconds.

Click ADVANCED tab > Administration > Backup Settings
Click REVERT TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS

Rekey any configuration changes you may have made.

Power off the router, wait 60 seconds, power router back on.

Important Note:

1. The upgrade process is completed when the on screen progress bar completes. If power LED light turns amber and blinking, power cycle the router. Wait 60 seconds after the upgrade to complete the upgrade.

2. If the upgrade progress bar on web GUI doesn't display correctly during firmware upgrade, you can still check the status using Power LED. The Power LED should be blinking (amber) during firmware upgrade. After firmware upgrade is done and boots up the system, it changes to steady amber color.

Please DO NOT power off or reboot the device during firmware upgrade, otherwise, it may result to a corrupt firmware and cause the device not to work.

Wait 60 seconds after upgrade completes.

Next go to QOS settings and make sure Enable WMM is checked.

-I have selected channel 157 but you may need a different channel
-I have "Up To 1300mbs" selected
-Use WPA2-PSK(AES)
-and Enable SSID broadcast

under Advanced Wireless Settings
-Make sure you are using Long Preamble and that your adapter is either set for LP or Auto

Below WPS Settings
-make sure Perfornance Boost is checked
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 31 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mad

Since I'v got nothing to do and all day to do it in I reverted to the previous version as you suggested. AirPrint still finds no printers with iOS 6.0. Since I have not had any problems with the router except for AirPrint I took it back to the latest version of firmware. Thanks for your help but I think Netgear needs to figure out how to fix this, especially per CNET the best router on the market. Seems like you wouldn't want to hose that up.
Message 32 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

The AirPrint feature in Netgear Genie works without any regard to the router itself. I ran this using other non-Netgear routers while debating on keeping the R6300. It's sharing the printer(s) from the client workstation as an AirPrint printer and works like FingerPrint from Collobos that was mentioned earlier.

I've since updated my ipads and iphones from IOS5.1.1 to IOS6 I am experiencing the same problem (no AirPrint printers are found), so it is a compatibility issue with Netgear Genie and IOS6.

Apple wouldn't support a 3rd party app that was sharing an a non-AirPrint printer to work as an AirPrint printer, only for true AirPrint-enabled printers.

So, we can only hope Netgear updates the Genie app to fix this. If FingerPrint is IOS 6 compatible then it should be technically feasible for Genie to be as well.

And yes, I'm going to log a support ticket too but I dont have my serial # handy
Message 33 of 63
Highlighted
Tutor

madhatter wrote:
Wow, so Netgear is supposed to fix iOS 6, if it's an iOS 6 problem? Really?

iOS 6 works with other AirPrint devices, just not with NetGear's protocol conversion.

That was the point of mentioning that iOS 6 on an iPhone 4s works fine with the HPLJ Pro 100 and its AirPrint implementation.

It's also working here with Printopia, a 3rd party protocol converter also unupdated for iOS 6.

If iOS 6 is working with these two products, neither of which was updated for iOS 6, then it follows that the implementation in the NetGear router is probably flawed in some respect, and while it worked with iOS 5 it may have counted on something that is no longer true in iOS 6.
Message 34 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

HolmenV and Kenrok1,

I agree with your assessment, this is a Netgear Genie problem, not an "Apple" problem as Madhatter is intimating.

Madhatter - I'm not sure why your trying to defend Netgear, it's a simple problem they need to fix with their software to work with IOS 6. I'm sure the Netgear developers have access to the various pre-release builds of IOS6 to test to ensure the various functionally works. If I use your logic, when Windows 8 is released and the Genie stops working, i should contact Microsoft, not Netgear. Really??
Message 35 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

bones5050 wrote:
HolmenV and Kenrok1,

Madhatter - I'm not sure why your trying to defend Netgear, If I use your logic, when Windows 8 is released and the Genie stops working, i should contact Microsoft, not Netgear. Really??

I'm not defending Netgear, just observing that if there is a communication standard for iOS and the standard works in iOS 5, but not 6 then one of two things are at play. Either iOS 5 implemented the standard incorrectly and it was fixed in iOS 6, or there is a bug in iOS 6.

And yes, if the same thing happened with Windows 8 it would be the same analysis.
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 36 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the same issue, only it's a newly installed 6300 router, just updated with latest firmware version (V1.0.1.20_1.0.40). I have a Canon MX860 printer, which has wireless connectivity but does not natively support AirPrint.

My iPhone 4, still running iOS5, prints perfectly via the Genie app/AirPrint utility on my Windows PC. I see the Canon printer and it prints every time.

My iPad 2, which I upgraded to iOS6 recently, does not show any AirPrint compatible printers.

FYI, out of the box my 6300 was having many of the iOS6 connectivity issues that have been reported elsewhere on the forums -- spotty connectivity; the need to constantly reset iPad, 2 or router, to re-establish connectivity, etc. Once I upgraded the firmware to the latest version, I had none of those connectivity issues. (I did not capture what the old firmware version was prior to the update.) So, there is some progress on getting better iOS6 compatibility into the firmware. Hopefully a release will be forthcoming that will address the Genie/Airprint/iOS6 issues as well.
Message 37 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

There is a new firmware update for the R6300. It is 1.02.36_1.0.28

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R6300

Bad news is it doesn't fix the Airprint problem.
Message 38 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Netgear has issued new knowledage base on IOS 6

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865

Probably needs to be patient while Netgear acknowledge issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 39 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Netgear has issued new knowledage base on IOS 6

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21865

Probably needs to be patient while Netgear acknowledge issues.

This problem is affecting other people using routers other than Netgear. Adding further evidence that this is not unique to Netgear.

A lot of people can see the networks, but lose connectivity after they join.

Here are some things folks have tried... maybe this will help:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4311854

==================================================
joepvanA
Currently Being Moderated
Re: Am I the only one having ios 6 ipad 3 wi-fi issues
Sep 19, 2012 4:17 PM (in response to mny12)
With this guy,
Apple can suck it. Something with a testing procedure failed here.
Since im not the online one.
I never had a problem under ios 5.x
specs:
D-link Dir 655:
WPA2-Tkip
2.4ghz band.
Ipad2 can connect but loses its connection
I get a new screen with apple.com -page not found and the apple site says hmm, the page you're looking for can't be found.
Its just the **** login page pop up i keep getting "that doesnt work"
Then the ipad decides somehow I can't use MY ipad, and drops te connection?
=================================
myadamsapple
Currently Being Moderated
Re: Am I the only one having ios 6 ipad 3 wi-fi issues
Sep 19, 2012 4:18 PM (in response to liquidki)
same here. Can't connect my iPhone 4S to my home network using Airport Extreme. How annoying!
=================================
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 40 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

The airprint issue is unrelated to the Apple wifi connectivity issue... and unrelated to the router (Netgear or other)

It is a compatiblity issue between the Netgear Genie software and IOS 6

I havent seen any updates to the Netgear Genie software yet, current ver is
Message 41 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

here's an update and sorry for the length - I would post as an attachement if I knew how:

CherryThank you for choosing NETGEAR. How may I help you today?

6:10 pm Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Support. My name is Cherry, Expert ID: 46230, your NETGEAR Expert.How may I provide you with excellent service today?

6:10 pm Ken HI Cherry

6:11 pm I have an issue with the Netgear Genie software, specifically the AirPrint feature

it appears to be a compatibility issue

I dont believe it has to do with the router at all... also over on the support forum it appears this is an issue shared by others

6:12 pm I just wanted to formally log it

6:13 pm CherryI see, yes AirPrint has issues in every routers not only in NETGEAR routers, this occurs on Mac devices running on ios6.

6:15 pm Ken yes compatibilty with Genie and IOS6

6:16 pm I happen to be using an R6300, but the Genie software doesnt care which router

6:16 pm CherryYes that is right, our Enginers knows about this issue and currently doing their best to provide a a firmware that will fox teh ug.

Yes that is right, our Enginers knows about this issue and currently doing their best to provide a a firmware that will fox the bug.

6:17 pm May I know how do you access the Genie page.

6:20 pm Ken sure its installed on a windows 7 PC

6:22 pm when you say engineers are working on a firmware update... do you mean an update for the Netgear Genie software? (this is not firmware related, such as on the router itself)

6:23 pm CherryYes an update for the software, for the Airprint to work, not for the Genie issues.

6:24 pm Ken OK so is there like a master ticket or KB article or something for that issue?

6:26 pm if so I would like to refer to it on the dicussion forum forum1.net…om/showthread.php?t=79397

6:27 pm CherryBy the way, may I know what exactly is the issue you are having with the Genie?

6:28 pm Ken OK, I will step through it - please let me know if this is clear

I have the netgear genie software installed on a windows 7 pc... the software is downloaded from here: netgear.co…anding/genie/default.aspx

6:29 pm I am using the latest build, in the "about" it states Version 2.2.26.50

6:30 pm in the app there is a function that allows you to share any non-airprint enabled printer as if it were an true airprint printer

6:31 pm the button for this feature is simply labeled "AirPrint"

6:31 pm CherryOkay.

6:31 pm Ken it is very easy to use - you just put a check in the box next the printers you wish to share as airprint printers

6:32 pm so, prior to upgrading apple devices to IOS6 this was working just fine (for me and others)

6:32 pm CherryOkay.

6:34 pm Ken so, its something with how the netgear genie software is sharing the printer that devices running IOS6 cant see it

they can see true airprint enabled printers (because they dont rely on the genie software to share)

6:35 pm CherryOkay.

6:37 pm Ken i know there have been other issues related to IOS6 and wifi, and IOS6 and the genie app on the apple device... I havent run into any of those issue... just this AirPrint issue

6:38 pm CherryAs mentioned earlier this Airprint feature of NETGEAR has issues with iOS6.

6:39 pm Ken exactly - OK we are clear on that much

6:39 pm CherryAnd for you to use the Airprint feature, you have to go to the Genie software to do that.

6:40 pm Ken only on the PC running Genie to choose which printers you wish to share

6:41 pm you dont need the genie app installed on the device

6:42 pm you said "As mentioned earlier this Airprint feature of NETGEAR has issues with iOS6."

is there a KB reference to that anywhere?

6:43 pm CherryI do apologize, we do not have a kb or article for this issue for now.

6:44 pm The link that you gave earlier is an article created by a person not from NETGEAR.

6:44 pm Ken yea thats just from the discussion forums

6:45 pm were other users, including myself, are sharing their experiance

6:45 pm CherryFor this issue, our Enginers are still looking for solutions, as soon as the resolutions is available, that will be the time it will be post to our support site. The steps by step procedure will be attatched there.

6:45 pm Ken we know thats a user community forum - not Netgear support

6:46 pm CherryPlease take note that this issue is not existing to NETGEAR routers alone. This has been an issue after upgrading or MAc running on iOS 6.

6:47 pm Ken yes I understand - also note, netgear genie software works for airprint with any router, netgear or not if you are using IOS 5

6:48 pm CherryYes.

Any iOs.

Except for ios 6.

6:49 pm Ken OK well thank you for your time and I will wait for the update... in the mean time is there anywhere I can check back on the status?

or ticket to refer or something like that?

6:51 pm CherryYou are very welcome. I suggest, you use your Customer ID as your reference here in NETGEAR which is XXXXXXXXXXX.
Message 42 of 63
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Please do not post support name. It's against the forum policy Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 43 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I user Cisco Linksys routers with DDWRT. (NO Netgear routers) All my clients running Genie on XP or Win 7 have lost the print function since IOS6. So the issue is Genie and IOS6.
I believe apple doesnt want you to be able to print to non airprint printers (that they get funds from Licensing the tech). So this is a way for them to snub out any 3rd party Windows devs like netgear.

Bummer it really worked great for a while.

I''ll check back to see if netgear can sus it out. Until then I have found no other way to do this on windows networks reliably. Guess my client's have to buy airprint printers (inkjets suck!!!)

All free rides must come to an end eh?
Message 44 of 63
Highlighted
Tutor

I doubt it ... Printopia still works with iOS6.

Chances are whoever wrote the AirPrint support just didn't create a terribly robust product, and hopefully they can fix it.

Wasn't it Heinlein who said Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Message 45 of 63
Highlighted
Apprentice

doodles444 wrote:
So the issue is Genie and IOS6.

This problem may be independent of Genie, this discussion seems to indicate that people are having airprint problems with iOS6 that aren't using Genie:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4351652?start=0&tstart=0
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 46 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

Agreed, after researching a bit, some mac users cant print using a regular airprint printer. Seems Printopia (mac only)users havent been affected. I tried Fingerprint on ios6 and while it does now see the network printer, nothing is received at the printer.
Message 47 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have two non-Airprint printers attached to a Windows 7 PC, one is a Dell 2330DN (b/w laser printer, connected via ethernet) the other an Epson Artison 810 (color inkjet connected via USB and WiFi)

Both of these printers will print via "airprint" from IOS 6 devices using the FingerPrint app from Collobos, but with a watermark because it costs $20 to buy.

The Netgear Genie app used to provide this same functionality prior to the IOS 6 upgrade... so I stand by statement it's a compatibility issue with IOS 6 and the AirPrint feature in Netgear Genie.
Message 48 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Please do not post support name. It's against the forum policy Smiley Happy

Hi sorry I never saw this anywhere - I read the forum rules and policies... can you please point this out?

http://forum1.netgear.com/announcement.php?f=29

if one of the forum mods cares to redact the support name that's fine by me, I don't see anywhere I have the capability to edit a post
Message 49 of 63
Highlighted
Aspirant

So now, Even my ios5 phone wont print via Genie. This was after installing airprint by collabos. (both apps allow to see printers but no data sent) So my airprint service is screwed, will uninstall both apps and services and reinstall when i get time.
grrrrrrrrrr PITA

My ios6 ipad can see printers with airprint running but no data sent.
Genie doesnt find any printers with ios 6.

Ofcourse I only have either program running one at a time
Message 50 of 63
Discussion stats
Announcements