Re: Airplay problems =(

controldenied12
Aspirant

Airplay problems =(

Hello. I apologize in advance if this question has been answered but I searched this forum and couldn't find any answers. Just hooked up my NetGear R6250 and it's working much better than my last router, with the exception of AirPlay on my 5th gen ipod touch. It drops out after 1-2 minutes of playing music every time I try. I searched for similar problems and it seems to be something that happens with Airplay and NetGear products. Some people solved the problem by disabling "wireless isolation" but this was with older models and I don't see that option in my router settings. Any help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you.

Message 1 of 16
controldenied12
Aspirant

Does anyone possibly know the equivalent of "disabling wireless isolation" in the settings of this router?
Message 2 of 16
Sway
Aspirant

controldenied12 wrote:
It drops out after 1-2 minutes of playing music every time I try. I searched for similar problems and it seems to be something that happens with Airplay and NetGear products.

Identical issue. And I've isolated it to the router. My AppleTV is connected to the router via ethernet. My Mac streams fine to AirPlay from videos on my Mac's drive. However, if I try to stream from YouTube or Twitch or anything online, it quits out after 1-2 minutes. It doesn't matter the resolution.

The reason I strongly suspect this particular Netgear model is because I tried swapping it out for my old one - a Netgear WNDR-4500v2 and it worked flawlessly. I tried the same videos that failed on my new (patched to V1.0.1.84_1.0.78 firmware) and they all worked on the old router.

I reset both routers to factory defaults to make sure it wasn't a custom setting I had changed. Same result. WNDR-4500v2 worked and R6250 failed after a minute or so.

I saw a post in another forum suggesting disabling WMM. I tried that and it made no difference. Any other recommendations are welcome. I hope that this at least gives others some peace of mind that it's probably not their AppleTV or computer.
Message 3 of 16
Sway
Aspirant

Update: I decided to work with NETGEAR support for a bit. We tried a number of things, including changing MTU and Fragmentation Length / Threshold. Nothing changed the behavior of AirPlay just quitting after a minute.

My router was still under warranty so they decided to give me an RMA. I'll see if the replacement works and update this thread again.
Message 4 of 16
jukleop
Aspirant

I'm having similar problems and look forward to finding out if an RMA cleared up your issue. Thanks in advance.
Message 5 of 16
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Create a ticket for NETGEAR support to assist you.

Message 6 of 16
Sway
Aspirant

jukleop wrote:
I'm having similar problems and look forward to finding out if an RMA cleared up your issue. Thanks in advance.

I just received my replacement 6250 and it didn't fix the Airplay issue. I'm calling Support again.
Message 7 of 16

Please open Netgear Support Ticket. A beta firmware from Netgear could possibly fix it. 🙂
Message 8 of 16

Please open a support ticket offered by Minions08. A beta firmware from Netgear could possibly fix it.
Message 9 of 16
patrickt12
Aspirant

im having the same problem, i had a wndr3400, but just upgraded to the r6250. the previous router had no issues with airplay.

with this router, the airplay from my macbook works for about a minute before dropping. please help.
Message 10 of 16
BumpCty
Aspirant

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=89597&page=2

user jpmm changed a setting that fixed the problem for me.

From his post

I just purchased the R7000 (Firmware version V1.0.3.60_1.1.27).

To allow AirPlay from my iPod Touch to my Apple TV (setup with ethernet cable through a network switch), I tried disabling WMM QoS (Wi-Fi Multimedia Quality of Service), which seems to be working...
[Router's Admin page: Advanced, Setup, QoS Setup, unchecked WMM for 2.4 and 5 GHz.]

For the changes to take affect, I also had to reboot the router.
[Admin: Advanced, Reboot button].

So far, I've been able to AirPlay without an issue.

I'm not sure if WMM QoS is even necessary...

I just watched an hour video sent through my iPad with no issues.
Message 11 of 16
Sway
Aspirant

Just a quick update. I went through a very long bout of troubleshooting with NETGEAR support about this issue. They were eventually able to isolate the issue and get it working for me. You will likely have to open your own support ticket, though. Unfortunately the fix isn't something I just copy and paste into here.
Message 12 of 16
pwibbele
Aspirant

I am having similar problems with my R6250(s). I have 2x R6250, the second set up as an Access Point and connected via LAN cable to the first. I'm trying to use AirPlay on the second. I have an AppleTV connected via lan cable to the second (the AccessPoint) and I'm trying to use AirPlay to stream from a mac connected via wifi. I've tried with 2 different macs and both drop out after a few minutes when connected via the 5G wifi network. If I connect the mac by LAN cable to the router directly, AirPlay works fine. I also tried unchecking "Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings" as suggested in this thread and it didn't help.
Message 13 of 16
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket for support team.

Message 14 of 16
fiestonder
Aspirant

Re: Airplay problems

I just got the R6250 router with my home being mainly Apple Products. Didn't want to shell out the $300 for the TimeCapsule option.

I also did not have luck with Airplay, my playback would quit after a few minutes. I was surprised that this was happening since I have a PS4 and use PSNow which requires a pretty fast connection and router (I have Verizon Fios)

I fixed the issue by following these steps.

Login to
http://routerlogin.net/
Admin: admin
Password: password
(unless you've changed it)

Go to the Advanced Tab
->Setup
->QoS Setup

Then check off the
->Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
(so that it is disabled)

Hit Apply and the router updates the settings, however I rebooted it just to be safe.

Other than that this router has been great even with as many devices as the ones I have at home.

Two MacBooks (1x Air, 1x Pro), Two Apple TV's, Three iPhones (1x 5s, 1x 5, 1x 6), Two iPads (1st Gen and 4th Gen)
Message 15 of 16
Kiwi1961
Aspirant

I have been liaising with AppleCare about a lag issue I am having from my Late 2013 iMac to Apple TV when using mirroring.
Apple have run diagnostics on the performance of my iMac and are aware that I have a D6300 wifi DSL Modem Router.

The settings they have found are as follows:

5Ghz

RSSI: -36 dBm

Noise: -95 dBM

Channel: 157 (5GHz, 80 MHz)

PHY Mode: 802.11ac

TX Rate: 88 Mbps

They have asked me to request assistance from Netgear router support in order to get my network working at the speeds it should be working at (for 802.11ac mode) and that is the reason for my email. My Internet provider is Westnet and I am using the latest version of Yosemite 10.10.3

Please advise what Setting changes I need to make to my Modem Router to get it working at speeds that it should be working when in 802.11ac mode.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E