Allocating/Reserving Bandwith to a Computer

n00b2
Novice

Allocating/Reserving Bandwith to a Computer

Hi Everyone

I am having trouble with my home network in that there are too many devices all trying to use the internet at the same time and not enough bandwith on the network. This makes the internet for my computer very slow which is a problem as I need it for work purposes, as well as for online gaming. So I was wondering, is there any way to allocate or reserve bandwith to my computer so that the internet speed can go back to acceptable levels for my computer? Not necessarily take over half the bandwith and piss everyone off in the process as they have been slowed down heaps more too. Just enough so that I can get my work done at a decent speed and actually be able to play games without lagging everyone else or getting timed out. All but two devices run off wi-fi including my computer. If there is a way to limit the bandwith on lan devices only as well I'd consider that too as they are they biggest hoggers in my system. The WNDR3800 is connected to a DM111p modem if that helps.

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Allocating/Reserving Bandwith to a Computer

use QOS
set rule to give your PC's MAC address highest priority
Message 2 of 7
n00b2
Novice

How would i do that? Go into QoS priority rules and set my MAC address to highest and the resource hoggers to low? Do I need static IP as well?
Message 3 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Turn on QOS then Apply

setup QOS ...delete ALL

add priority rule

priority category ........ select mac address....from mac device list ...choose your PC...

select highest
Message 4 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

So I was wondering, is there any way to allocate or reserve bandwith to my computer so that the internet speed can go back to acceptable levels for my computer?

Only way to do that is bandwidth profile feature that like Prosafe router offers.

You can group the devices for specific bandwidth amount and create multiple so that you can control.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 7
n00b2
Novice

I see. So it can't be done with the WNDR3800?
Message 6 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

No. You can not control individual bandwidth usage for each devices
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 7