Am no longer able to detect 3700?

wa_wa
Aspirant

Am no longer able to detect 3700?

Hi,
I purchased a new 4500 model and set it up fine, however I am looking to configure the old 3700 again, however I can't see to connect to it via the ip address nor the routerlogin address? I reset the router back to factory settings and even hardwired the router to my laptop, but it doesn't work? The routers lights do come on and it does work (had set-up as an extender of the 4500)

Any idea's appreciated?
Message 1 of 45
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Am no longer able to detect 3700?

wa_wa wrote:
...however I can't see to connect to it via the ip address nor the routerlogin address? I reset the router back to factory settings and even hardwired the router to my laptop, but it doesn't work?

If you've reset to factory and hardwired, then you should be able to access it using the default settings. It's strange that you can't. Must be doing something wrong. Are you sure you are following the correct procedure to factory reset it? Are you holding the reset button in long enough?

Are you saying that you had the 3700 working as an access point to the 4500, and now what to remove it and get it working as a router again?
Message 2 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

wa_wa wrote:
Hi,
I purchased a new 4500 model and set it up fine, however I am looking to configure the old 3700 again, however I can't see to connect to it via the ip address nor the routerlogin address? I reset the router back to factory settings and even hardwired the router to my laptop, but it doesn't work? The routers lights do come on and it does work (had set-up as an extender of the 4500)

Any idea's appreciated?

Resetting the 3700v1 at times has taken several attempts to reset. Try the 30 sec hold then release for 30 sec then hold for another 30 followed with a power cycle. If the reset has taken you should connect via lan port and then be able to config.
Message 4 of 45
wa_wa
Aspirant

Thanks Joe - Yeah I did reset it correctly (followed the guide and the router did reset).

I had previously set-up the router as a repeater, which worked, but the signal kept dropping, so got a powerline and wanted to attach this our router. I was able to set it up last time fine, but now when I hardwired it, and enter either routerlogin or the ip adddress, nothing comes back.

Silly question, could it be my browser history/ cache? (apol's I have very limited knowledge on this stuff). Thanks again for your help.
Message 5 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

so got a powerline and wanted to attach this our router. I was able to set it up last time fine, but now when I hardwired it, and enter either routerlogin or the ip adddress, nothing comes back.

Usually you get abnormal behavior like this if you are using pc connected primary router and trying to hit 2nd unit

Try hook up pc behind the 2nd unit (3700) and try access the router GUI
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 45
wa_wa
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Usually you get abnormal behavior like this if you are using pc connected primary router and trying to hit 2nd unit

Try hook up pc behind the 2nd unit (3700) and try access the router GUI

Thanks - I actually completely switch off and disconnect the primary router and connect the second (3700) router directly like it would be my primary one. But can't get to the login page?
Message 7 of 45
Devor
Luminary

My primary router is 192.168.1.1 and my secondary router is 192.168.1.2. Here it doesn't matter that I'm logging into the secondary router from a computer connected to the primary router. Are you sure you are using the correct IP address?
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 8 of 45
Joe_
Apprentice

wa_wa wrote:
Silly question, could it be my browser history/ cache?

Yes. Your browser history/cache could cause you to be directed incorrectly. Try clearing it. Also, ensure you use IE or FireFox browsers since the others may have compatibility issues. If you did do the factory reset correctly and it did reset, then it's suppose to default to 192.168.1.1 as its IP address and you should be able to get to its GUI using that addresss.
Message 9 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wa_wa wrote:
Thanks - I actually completely switch off and disconnect the primary router and connect the second (3700) router directly like it would be my primary one. But can't get to the login page?

Issues will be make sure BOTH has different IP

Ex.
#1 192.168.1.1
#2 192.168.1.2
Main DHCP range is 192.168.1.3~192.168.1.254
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 45
Devor
Luminary

jmizoguchi wrote:

Provided that the other person is using dynamic, then the DHCP range would need to be adjusted accordingly. For me I use static and have DHCP disabled. This way I can place things wherever I want without having to worry about it. I am in no way advocating static, it not for everyone.

Back to the point, make sure the IP address you assigned to the router is outside of DHCP and that you are using the correct IP address for the router you are attempting to log into.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 11 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Provided that the other person is using dynamic, then the DHCP range would need to be adjusted accordingly. For me I use static and have DHCP disabled. This way I can place things wherever I want without having to worry about it. I am in no way advocating static, it not for everyone.

Ex.
#1 192.168.1.1
#2 192.168.1.2

this showing the static IP...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 45
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I read this whole thread several times, based on the original post I would suggest the OP disconnect the router in question from everything. Preform a reset and turn off router..then connect via lan port to a PC turn on router and PC should get an IP of 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.0.2 If not the router has not been fully reset or your PC NIC card settings are set to static. I own a 3700 (not sure if the others do) and I will tell you it is a pain in the rear to reset after using it as AP, or repeater or any mode that changes LAN IP or disables DHCP. If I misunderstood the OP's question/problem please be nice and use small words to explain it to me.:eek:
Message 13 of 45
Devor
Luminary

jmizoguchi wrote:
this showing the static IP...

I believe you might have misunderstood. I have the LAN DHCP Server disabled. For me, there is no reduced "Main DHCP range [of] 192.168.1.3~192.168.1.254". However, if "the other person is using dynamic, then the DHCP range would need to be adjusted accordingly". Thus freeing up a couple of IP addresses outside the DHCP range or DHCP server. That's why I didn't include in the quote the static IP addresses that you included and only the DHCP range, because I was only referring to that one thing.
_____
Message 14 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Your preference is to DISABLED entier DHCP id your prefernces.

For most would just need to range the ip in such way so that most OTHER can just get DHCP from the IP without an issues and EASY

#1 192.168.1.1
#2 192.168.1.2

and IF you look closely, it is outside the DHCP
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 45
Devor
Luminary

Yes, I know. The reason it is out of DHCP range is because someone had to physically go in there and change the starting IP address. My question is, did the other person do that? Otherwise, "the DHCP range would need to be adjusted accordingly".

I think we are saying the same thing, but in different ways. Smiley Happy
_____
Message 16 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Setting are users responsibility and assume they did ...

Since no sense to discuss when OP itself has not responded yet
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 17 of 45
wa_wa
Aspirant

Thank you all for the help.

It was a simply issue of having to delete my browser history and cache.

Now in regards to the set-up, just want to clarify as I am getting a little lost.

Router one (primary router)
IP address is 192-168-1-1

and "Use Router as DHCP Server" is set to on, and the range is 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254

router two
IP address is 192-168-1-2
and "Use Router as DHCP Server" is set to on, and the range is 192.168.1.3 to 192.168.1.254

am I missing anything?
Message 18 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can ONLY have inde DHCP

Disable DHCP on 2nd unit
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 19 of 45
wa_wa
Aspirant

thanks

I am having problems though (which will no doubt be due to me having such little understanding).

On the first router, under the LAN settings I have amended the DHCP range to 192.168.1.3~192.168.1.254

I disconnected this one and hardwired the second router. On the LAN setting I amended the IP address to 198.168.1.2

I get the below pop-up
Please change your computer's IP address manually if LAN IP subnet will be changed then can't connect

and also switched off the DHCP setting.

I hit apply but get an error coming back saying it can't detect ip address 192.168.1.2
Message 20 of 45
wa_wa
Aspirant

Thanks - however stil having issues (most likly as I have little knowlegde of these set-ups, so please be gentle! Smiley Happy )

I set-up the first router fine, and can change the DHCP range to 192.168.1.3~192.168.1.254 (although get a notification that a device is using that IP address?)

then turnoff the router and hardwired the second router.

under the LAN settings, I change the IP address to 192.168-1-2
and then get this message
"Please change your computer's IP address manually if LAN IP subnet will be changed
then can't connect"
I also then switch off DHCP.

I hit apply, but it comes back saying that it can not find 192.168.1.2

not sure what I am doing wrong?
Message 21 of 45
Joe_
Apprentice

@wa wa,

I assume you are trying to set up the 3700 as a wired access point. What guide are you following? The setup is like this:

Also, make sure your PC's IP is being supplied by DHCP in your main router, and no static IP or address reservation is being used. After you have made the settings you may need to power-off everything, then to reboot each one starting with modem>router>access point (i.e. 3700)>computer in order to allow the DHCP server to assign a new IP to your computer if your computer has been assigned 192.168.1.2. Besides, if you were following the guide I linked to, then you wouldn't have assigned 192.168.1.2 to the access point. There's no need to skimp on the IP pool used by your DHCP server unless you could somehow use all or close to all of the addresses between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. That's a lot of addresses for any home network or even a small business. :eek:
Message 22 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you don't specify the IP user will have an issues getting access to GUI
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 23 of 45
Devor
Luminary

Unless a reservation was set, after everything gets rebooted it's a moot point what the computer had before. Besides, I wouldn't call it skimping. I'd call it organizing. Smiley Happy
_____
Message 24 of 45
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

wa_wa wrote:

I hit apply but get an error coming back saying it can't detect ip address 192.168.1.2

reason for this is because you have to disable DHCP and as soon as you apply setting your PC NO longer gets IP so if you setup static IP of 192.168.1.5 for example you can access temporary before you hook up existing network.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 25 of 45
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements