Another Netgear Epic Fail on Router Security

Another Netgear Epic Fail on Router Security

https://threatpost.com/disclosed-netgear-router-vulnerability-under-attack/114960/

I am so disgusted with Netgear as an incompetent corporation that will gladly profit from ignorant customers but not protect them in a proactive manner. Again Netgear routers are susceptible to another threat due to the crappy code used for luser interface. Time for class action. If I owned a Netgear router and got pwned due to corporate negligence I would be finding a very good attorney and make them pay. This has gone on long enough. If customers don't start realizing these morons csn't be trusted to protect our interests Netgear and other lame network appliance manufacturers should go BANKRUPT. Good riddance. In a true capitalist system where customers have full disclosure that is what should happen. Due to assymetry where Netgear can bank on customer ignorance we don't have that sort of accountabilty. The same clowns still write crappy code that puts us all at risk and obviously don't care.  They continue to sell their crapware infested devices. 

People then argue that all we gave to do is install open source firmware like openwrt or ddwrt. Good luck with that. Finding supported hardware is half the battle. Then the FCC has decided that alternative firmware might cause weather radar issues so screw the enduser sick of hack vulnerable firmware.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/09/fcc-oipen-source-router-software-is-still-lega...

Incompetent vendors like Netgear (not only villain) and FCC are complicit with Russian and Chinese hackers of their vulnerable routers. Is that in the marketing literature? The internet is broken thanks to vendors like Netgear. Why do we put up with this crap? Because we are sheeple. 

Message 1 of 4

Re: Another Netgear Epic Fail on Router Security

timetorebel wrote: If I owned a Netgear router and got pwned due to corporate negligence I would be finding a very good attorney and make them pay.

If you owned a Netgear router someone here might be able to help you fix any vulnerabilities, real or imaginary, in your system, or perhaps even tell you that there are no examples of people being "pwned" and that you should not believe everything that you read out there on the Internet.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4

Sorry but I have a clue how to secure a router and I can't quite trust disabling remote management suffices to secure a router brand as flawed as Netfear. How do I know some foreign syndicate in a country the US is currently in a position of cyberhostility with can't send a poison pill packet that topples lamely coded kit? Your word? This weakest link nonsense will not stop until customers wise up, educate themselves and hold vendors like Netfear's feet to the fire. Otherwise they drag their feet and the only thing they are quick at is EOL'ing product. Revenue stream. Profit. Not security. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

timetorebel wrote: If I owned a Netgear router and got pwned due to corporate negligence I would be finding a very good attorney and make them pay.

If you owned a Netgear router someone here might be able to help you fix any vulnerabilities, real or imaginary, in your system, or perhaps even tell you that there are no examples of people being "pwned" and that you should not believe everything that you read out there on the Internet.

Message 3 of 4
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

NETGEAR released a fix for the said vulnerability.

Affected users were also informed about this and have asked to upgrade their firmware.

Refer to this article.

Thank you and have a great day!

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements