Highlighted
Tutor

Another problem router from Netgear

I bought this router in mid-January. It's my 6th Netgear router. I haven't owned so many because I keep upgrading models: four of them were WNDR3700s. They simply stop working after a while. I keep buying them because, when they do work, I get better range and speed with them than from any other router I've tried (various Belkin, ASUS, Linksys/Cicso, D-Link, etc.). But they all seem to die pretty quick deaths

I thought this one was dead within a week - it still functioned as a router but would dropped an internet connection one day and I was initially unable to restore. I know the whole drill - reboot modem, hard reset the router, but I couldn't get Internet restored. So I bought a Linksys EA4500, which worked fine (though worse range, slower speeds, etc.). The EA4500 suddenly lost its management interface (which apparently is a common problem with that model judging from online comments), so I started tinkering with the WNDR4500 again, hard reset, got it working.

Now I have to do the hard reset about every 3 or 4 days. Internet stops randomly, sometimes when I'm right in the middle of something, and sometimes I'll come back to by laptop and find the Internet is gone. A simple reboot of modem and router does not suffice - the router has to have a hard reset. Any thoughts on why?
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Another problem router from Netgear

Have you tried re-flashing the same firmware or reverting to a earlier version?

See link in signature, step 4, for one way to properly change firmware. Even though the guide was written for a different model, the principle is the same. Safely remove any USB devices, update only with a wired connection and don't use saved configuration files.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Are you using backup UPS? You could have some issues with outlet that may varies with voltage that could have causing abnormal behavior.

Also does it looking when you are doing specific thing? torrent download , streaming etc?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

Devor wrote:

See link in signature, step 4, for one way to properly change firmware. Even though the guide was written for a different model, the principle is the same. Safely remove any USB devices, update only with a wired connection and don't use saved configuration files.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might revert to an earlier firmware if others have had this issue after updating. Anyone?
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

Devor wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd revert to an earlier version if other users have experienced this issue after updating. Anyone?
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Tutor

jmizoguchi wrote:
Are you using backup UPS? You could have some issues with outlet that may varies with voltage that could have causing abnormal behavior.

Also does it looking when you are doing specific thing? torrent download , streaming etc?

Thanks for responding. No UPS backup. Not doing anything specific, at least actively. Besides my computers, I have several devices connected (Roku, Chromecast, Nexus 7, Android phone), none of which I've been actively using when I've experienced a lost Internet event. I don't see a pattern to when it happens. As I said, sometimes I'm actively using the Internet (browsing or doing e-mails in Outlook), other times I come back to the computer after doing something else and the Internet is gone.
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have you considered that your ISP may have a problem? Log into modem, check modem log files. Do you see any T3 or T4 timeouts?

Replace cat xx cable between modem and router.
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Sounds like too many problems with two different manufacture so I would say start from remove router and use PC directly to the broadband . I'm sure it is using same outlet .

If you have no issues with pc directly the broadband then you eliminate one thing. I would start from there to observe issues.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation