Are you going to fix this thing or what, Netgear?

acetken
Aspirant

Are you going to fix this thing or what, Netgear?

Okay, so since I purchased this router, it's had the same major issues with no sign of a fix. It has been several months.

Are you going to fix this thing, or do I have to return it and my unopened stock to my supplier and get something that functions as intended (And steer my customers that way as well)?
Message 1 of 16
Joe_
Apprentice

Re: Are you going to fix this thing or what, Netgear?

This is a user-to-user forum. From all appearances, many have expressed doubt as to whether Netgear personnel even read these forum posts. Since I recently joined these forums there has only been a single post I've seen in the WNDR3800 forum from someone who purports to be a Netgear employee.

If you have not already done so, you may find it better to direct your concerns to Netgear's Tech Support. At the very least, you would be communicating with Netgear employees! Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

if you are unhappy then two choices been forum is NOT support at all.

1. return the unit..

2. go to my.netgear.com and use 2nd button to send feedback without registering the units.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

acetken wrote:
Okay, so since I purchased this router, it's had the same major issues with no sign of a fix. It has been several months.

Are you going to fix this thing, or do I have to return it and my unopened stock to my supplier and get something that functions as intended (And steer my customers that way as well)?

If your referring to the WNDR4000 the .60 firmware should work for most users. Guest and DHCPNACK are being addressed and the rebooting from .66 is also being addressed. These should all be working correctly with the Sept firmware release.

Is there something I missed?Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 16
acetken
Aspirant

Yes. As I mentioned in another thread, enabling "Use Auto IP" completely obliterates the router. Here's my post from the old thread that had no response from Netgear.

Picked up a WNDR4000 the other day and have been having nothing but massive issues with it. Out of the box, everything was just fine, updated the firmware and all that good stuff. Then while configuring, I came across the "LAN Setup" section and inside, the "Use Auto IP" checkbox. Enabling it and saving completely borks the router. As in I couldn't access it from my PCs. I did a factory reset, but it was still messed up and wasn't giving out IP addresses. I discovered that after the reset I was able to get on via wireless and I tried to reconfigure it from there to no avail. Since it was defaulted, the Use Auto IP setting was off, but still nothing worked. Frustrated, I then factory reset it once more, unplugged it, and set it aside for the night.

The next morning I tried again only to find that this time, I was able to pull an IP again on my main wired tower. Thinking that it was a firmware screwup, I redownloaded and reflashed the firmware.

Again, Use Auto IP completely wrecked the router and it had to be factory reset and unplugged for a while.
Now I've got everything back to somewhat normal with it, I keep getting disconnected from the access point on both wired and wireless devices.
Message 5 of 16
Joe_
Apprentice

acetken wrote:
Here's my post from the old thread that had no response from Netgear.

As said before, this is a User-to-User forum. Don't expect to get any response from Netgear on these forums. Netgear has never been known to participate in these forums, with the exception of a single, rare occurence. Neither searay, jmizoguchi, myself, nor anyone on these forums for that matter, works for Netgear.

Have you followed searay's suggestion to use the older fimware as per this post?

searay wrote:
If your referring to the WNDR4000 the .60 firmware should work for most users.

If you are using the .60 firmware and still having problems, then you should report them to tech support at my.netgear.com.
Message 6 of 16
acetken
Aspirant

I'm kind of shocked that the magical firmware that fixes every problem everyone's had with this thing STILL isn't out. It has been months with no news or even a small firmware patch.
Message 7 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Have you called Netgear? Others have and they have been emailed Version.82 Give them a call instead of whining here.Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 16
Tom7
Aspirant

If it makes anyone feel any better...

The user to user forums for Cisco Linksys are fill with just as many expressions of frustration over the glitches of the E4200, and they too are awaiting a firmware upgrade to see if it solves a host of problems.

In fact, as far as I can tell from my research which is starting to become somewhat extensive, there is no such thing as a glitch-free dual band wireless three stream N router on the market today.

Should there be? I think so.

But I'm for giving Netgear a break on the firmware delay. At least for now.

If Netgear should have learned anything from the problems they are having with the N750, it is that they should not have rushed it to market without more extensive testing.

If more extensive testing is the reason for the slow delivery on the firmware, then good for Netgear for taking a bit of heat to get it right this time.

Yes, it should have been right in the first place, but you can't change the past. All you can do is your best with where you are right now.

Meanwhile, if you want to read a pretty thorough review of the N750, and get a clearer idea of its strengths and weaknesses in comparison to other options, I recommend reading this.
Message 9 of 16
cc999
Aspirant

Be patient, I guarentee you everything will be fixed in the upcoming firmware.
Use .60 in the meantime. The new firmware is very close to release.

Charlie C
Message 10 of 16
jlewter
Guide

acetken wrote:

Just how many did you buy?

acetken wrote:

Yes. As I mentioned in another thread, enabling "Use Auto IP" completely obliterates the router.

Use Auto IP is like telling the router to use DHCP on the lan side, It turns off DHCP in favor of lan discovery. This feature should be removed because of the complications it causes. The best I can liken it to is bonjour(apple)/zeroconfig(ms/nix). We are about 30 years into the zero-configuration way of things and to be honest, it hasnt really improved.

DHCP trumps the zeroconfig system and we havent seen it allow us to add wonderful new things. The main reason the zeroconfig idea is loved is because it allows anyone to connect any device and they can all talk to each other without any issues.

Of course, I could have it wrong, but that's what this seems to be. I did bug report it and say it should be removed because there is little documentation on the feature, and users will have a hard time accessing the router as non-savvy users will know the IP of the router. I am sure there's a reason it's there, but only netgear knows.
Message 11 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Auto ip is for a wired ap mode ONLY
Message 12 of 16
ProjectVRD
Aspirant

Netgear don't check the forums so asking them here will come to nothing. Netgear are one of the only companies I can think of who never visit their own forums, which is terrible customer service.
Message 13 of 16
Cybercare
Aspirant

Netgear does sometime check the forums so everyone please stop saying they don't. The only thing is its not guaranteed that they will.

For example the 3800 router has 2-3 different netgear employees that have posted responses to people as well as beta firmware in that forum.

It all depends on the people. Each product gets a different group of people, for example 3800 people cant help with 4000 or 4500 series.

That being said its fine for people to post things and complain, just don't "expect" a response, you may or may not get one depending if that team happens to look, but generally this is a peer to peer forum.

That being said the best thing to do is open cases and keep contacting support. If they get enough complaints with enough SN they will act more. Just posting here is not enough. While yes products should work we know things are not perfect.

So the more people and SN that lodge complaints and cases the better the odds. Don't let level 1 support stop you also as they are not always the best as we know. Fight to get the case sent higher until someone who knows about it sees or someone acknowledges it so we know its getting noticed.
Message 14 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Netgear does sometime check the forums so everyone please stop saying they don't. The only thing is its not guaranteed that they will.

just 2cents but this is what makes simply hard for End User in the forum . I think supports need to involve more throughout the forum or keep it user to user only..

You know... my life goes on the same as yesterday and tomorrow.. lol...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 16
xBuTcHeRx
Novice

FW .82 is out, try upgrading to tht and c how ur router is then.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E