Avast reports N600 WNDR4300v2 is vulnerale to hackers

Avast reports N600 WNDR4300v2 is vulnerale to hackers

This seems to be common to several Netgear routers, latest firmware is being used, not a password issue.

Firmware 1.0.0.32 Windows 10

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Model: JNDR3000|N600 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 14
William10a
Master

Re: Avast reports N600 WNDR4300v2 is vulnerale to hackers

@geotrouvetout67 wrote:

This seems to be common to several Netgear routers, latest firmware is being used, not a password issue.

Firmware 1.0.0.32 Windows 10

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Can explain more about this vulnerability or post a link to the report you are posting about?

Message 2 of 14

Unfortunately that is all I have.

I use Avast Internet Security and when I run the Wifi Inspector that is what it is detecting but it does not provide more details other than upgrading the firmware which is already the lastest available.

Message 3 of 14
William10a
Master

I do not use Avast but they seem to have a lot of hacking warnings and programs to stop the problem if a pc program only the pc is protected not the router any router is a possible victim just having wps active and wifi running . The wndr3400v2 is a older n standard router but most new modem and modem/routers have firewalls and virus protection as part of their firmware.

Message 4 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest that you send an email to techsupport.security@netgear.com. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 5 of 14
William10a
Master

Yes it would interesting to learn about this issue because if a wndr3400v1  does not show this warning but a newer wndr4300v2 what happen the newer should have better protection then the older router. I still think it is false warning or other people would posting about the same issue with other antivirus programs as I use the wifi inspector program to see ssid's around me and never see a warning.

Message 6 of 14

I emailed tech support, will see what they say.

Message 7 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Even the latest and greatest top of the line Netgear Nighthawk routers (including the R9000 with it's released 1.0.1.36 and some early access 1.0.2.xx builds) are reported vulnerable as per CVE-2013-0229 (DoS) and CVE-2013-0230 (DoS, arbitrary code execution). And many more by the way.

---

MiniUPnP < 1.4 Multiple Vulnerabilities
Description
According to its banner, the version of MiniUPnP running on the remote host is prior to 1.4. It is, therefore, affected by the following vulnerabilities :

- An out-of-bounds read error exists in the ProcessSSDPRequest() function in file minissdp.c that allows an unauthenticated, remote attacker to cause a denial of service condition via a specially crafted M-SEARCH request. (CVE-2013-0229)

- A stack-based buffer overflow condition exists in the ExecuteSoapAction() function in the SOAPAction handler, due to improper validation of user-supplied input. An unauthenticated, remote attacker can exploit this, via a long quoted method, to cause a denial of service condition or the execution of arbitrary code.
(CVE-2013-0230)

Output
  •   Server banner : R9000 UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0
      Installed version : 1.0
      Fixed version : 1.4

Port

Hosts

1900 / udp / ssdp

----

Up to now, the policy seems ot be that Netgear resp. the ODM does not update code as long as nobody does provide proof of the exploit.
Message 8 of 14
William10a
Master

Sounds good for now but never be a full proofed as the hackers will adaptor and I would bet that netgear is not the only router on the market either with issues like this overflows of data in a program happen ever look at a windows event log.

Message 9 of 14
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

By the way, what's the version of your Avast security? Make sure as well that you are using the latest version and try to scan again.
ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 10 of 14

Netgear security is looking into it, waiting for their investigation.

I don't know what version I'm using but it is the latest, Avast updates itself almost every day and the software is configured to check for updates every half hours.

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

The check for the (potential) vulnerability is clear - the server banner says it's 1.0:

Server banner : R9000 UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0

Message 12 of 14
KathrynF
Aspirant

Hello,

I have the same problem. Has Netgear security responded to you?

Message 13 of 14

They responded it would be escalated but I have not heard anything after that. In the mean time I upgraded to the 1750AC model and this one has no issues

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E