Re: B90-7550 ISP Supplied Modem/WiFi-Router

Tremojem
Aspirant

B90-7550 ISP Supplied Modem/WiFi-Router

This ISP supplied modem/WiFi-router is crap. ISP will not upgrade, as there is no upgrade. I tried the AC1900 R7000, and had to return for manufacturer failure.

The only real thing that I need is WiFi performance upgrading.

Is is smarter to use another Netgear product, like the range extenders, or a new D7000.

Just need some advice, as this is not easy stuff.

BIG house...patio etc. and I do not have a choice of where to place the ISP modem, as it has to be on the second floor with the recording desktop PC.

If I spent the money on the D7000, could I just place is on the first floor, using the phone cable, or do I still need to plug it into the ISP modem, as I do not have any cabling in the old farm house I have...no ethernet and no coax.

Thanks everyone for at least looking at this.

Message 1 of 9
Tremojem
Aspirant

I considered the D7000, but NO ONE has them and they are not restocking...????

Should I steer clear of this?

Message 2 of 9

What is the ISP's modem?

Saying that it is "crap" tells us nothing about why you don't like it. And that makes it hard to suggest a replacement strategy.

Maybe it could act as the front end for a router.

You ask about plugging the D7000 into the ISP's modem. That would be pointless. The D7000 is a modem/router. If the ISP's modem can do modem only, then it would be better matching that with a router, R7000P, R7800 or something else that takes your fancy.

Other questions:

What sort of internet is this? VDSL, ADSL, cable?

Which ISP are we talking about?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 9
Tremojem
Aspirant

My apologies, here are your answers.

What is the ISP's modem? Netgear B90-7550, dated 2015 with no firm ware update and no ISP hardware update available.

Saying that it is "crap" tells us nothing about why you don't like it. And that makes it hard to suggest a replacement strategy. The WiFi is very ver weak. Almost useless.

Maybe it could act as the front end for a router. I tried that with the R7000. It worked until I worked with Netgear support to bridge the modem and disable the WiFi on my gateway, where we discovered that the R7000 was defective. Before this discovery, the 2.4 & 5G performance was good. I could still go that route. WiFi is the real problem here, not the gateway.

You ask about plugging the D7000 into the ISP's modem. That would be pointless. The D7000 is a modem/router. If the ISP's modem can do modem only, then it would be better matching that with a router, R7000P, R7800 or something else that takes your fancy.

Other questions:

What sort of internet is this? VDSL, ADSL, cable? Without looking at the router, I am guessing from my internet search that it is an ADSL.

Which ISP are we talking about? Frontier, Central NY.

Message 4 of 9
Tremojem
Aspirant

By the way, Frontier support suggested plugging the D7000 or another B90-7550 into the network by connecting with a phone line to the modem...I too, thought oddly of this.

Message 5 of 9

@Tremojem wrote:

... Frontier support suggested plugging the D7000 or another B90-7550 into the network by connecting with a phone line to the modem...

I'm not sure where we are now but that is the obvious thing to do.

I had the impression that you don't have a modem/router yet and were asking about options.

You have two choices:

• buy a modem/router and forget about the ISP's modem
  • buy a router and plug that into the ISP's modem

Either option should deliver better wifi than the ISP's modem-router.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 6 of 9
Tremojem
Aspirant

What about extenders?

What is the recommendation for a modem/router replacement/

What is the recommendation for a router addition?

TY

Message 7 of 9

@Tremojem wrote:

What about extenders?

They will extend the wifi network from something else. You still need a modem/router or router.

What is the recommendation for a modem/router replacement/

What is the recommendation for a router addition?

It is up to you. Take your pick:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

DSL Modems | DSL Routers | NETGEAR

Just another user.

Message 8 of 9
Tremojem
Aspirant

This still leaves me wanting more infomation.

I will keep my ISP modem/router.

Having said that, I have two choices...either add extenders for WiFi, as the WiFi signal strength is the real problem here.

Or, 

I could add the R7000.

Do extenders really work?

Which is the smart choice for best results and performance?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E