BT Infinity

GlynM
Novice

Re: BT Infinity

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I recently took up the BT offer of increased FTTC speeds and thought you might like to know that its is working fine on my DGND3700:

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

Glyn
Message 26 of 38
Scubbie
Apprentice

Following what has been posted regarding Sky's FTTC product, your post confirms that the DGND3700 is able to sync to the BT Servers.

Sky uses a non-standard method to log in to their servers and despite asking, Netgear hasn't made any progress on introducing a fix for this.

Billion has released a fix and are now in the process of adding it in the firmware for many of their current routers.

It might be worth adding any other ISPs which the DGND3700 can connect to in the UK over FTTC (or FTTP) to this list.
Message 27 of 38
malbry
Aspirant

Hi folks,

Quick question. I'm getting BT Infinity 2 installed soon, and I'm planning to use my existing DGND3700 as the router to replace the BT-supplied Homehub. From this thread, I see that I'll need to set the IP address for the DGND3700 to 192.168.1.254 (it is currently at the default of 192.168.0.1). I currently have reserved addresses for all my connected devices in the 192.168.0.x range. Will I need to change them all to the 192.168.1.x range?

Thanks,
Malcolm
Message 28 of 38
Scubbie
Apprentice

Yes, all your devices will need to be on the same range as your router if you want them to talk to one another and the router.

However, from what I have learn on the SkyUser forum, I don't think that you have to change to use the 192.168.1.nnn range. Just the WAN Ethernet port on the DGND3700 needs to be in the correct range for the BTO Modem, which is 192.168.1.1.

If you hack the BTO Modem, then there is a way that you can access it whilst connected to your own router. This would involve you connecting LAN2 on the Modem to one of the LAN ports on the router and using the 192.168.1.nnn range on the router. LAN1 still connects to the WAN Ethernet port on the DGND3700.
Message 29 of 38
malbry
Aspirant

Thanks Scubbie. Here's another question for you (and others). I currently use Parental Controls on my DGND3700 which is connected to BT via ADSL line. I think (but I could be wrong) that OpenDNS currently knows the DGND3700 from its MAC address. So once BT Infinity is installed, I'll be connecting the DGND3700 through a separate BT modem - which presumably has its own MAC address. Not sure if this will mean that Parental Controls stops working. Does anyone have any experience of operating Netgear Parental Controls using a Netgear router connected through a non-Netgear modem? Thanks, Malcolm
Message 30 of 38
Scubbie
Apprentice

I would suspect that you will need to change the MAC Address in either case.

Since the WAN Ethernet port probably has a different MAC Address (sorry I can't double check this now) it would be prudent to check when you are connected.

Remember though that there will be a MAC address on the BTO Modem and it is available to view on the underside of the Modem. Hopefully there will be a way to manage this.
Message 31 of 38
malbry
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Scubbie. I'll re-post in the LPC thread to see if anyone has actually got this working.

Best regards,
Malcolm
Message 32 of 38
keith_thfc
Tutor

Daft question (and forgive me if I've missed a recent post on this) but for those of you using the DGND3700 on Fibre/BT Infinity, are you still needing to use the BT Openreach-provided modem or can you bypass this?

My understanding was that VDSL support was removed in a recent firmware update so does this mean our DGND3700 models must connect via the BTO modem and then its works ok?

Also, I've had the "can't reconnect when sync is lost" issue on ADSL 1/2 with this router. Am I still likely to get this or similar issues if I used this model for a FTTC/BT Infinity service?

Still waiting on Netgear for a refund but given their recent lack of communication on this I'm expecting to be stuck with my DGDN3700 for a while yet. BT have given me a new planned Fibre activation date in early July and I'm not planning to go with BT Infinity so just wanted to know if I need to get a new cable router in the next few weeks or if I can still use this DGND3700 with any degree of reliability.

Thanks all.
Message 33 of 38
Scubbie
Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
Daft question (and forgive me if I've missed a recent post on this) but for those of you using the DGND3700 on Fibre/BT Infinity, are you still needing to use the BT Openreach-provided modem or can you bypass this?

From what I understand those who have been connecting the DGND3700 to BT Infinity via the BTO Modem have been able to connect directly without the BT HomeHub v3.

You will need to put in the log in details.

However not all ISPs will allow the DGND3700 to work this way as many of the additional functions for connecting to a cable Modem have been removed.
Message 34 of 38
keith_thfc
Tutor

Thanks Scubbie. I will probably go with Zen or ADSL24 Fibre so was hoping that they wouldn't have anything in place to stop me using this router.

Both require you to have your own Fibre/cable router as unlike with BT Infinity you are not provided with one as part of their packages.
Message 35 of 38
Scubbie
Apprentice

keith_thfc wrote:
Thanks Scubbie. I will probably go with Zen or ADSL24 Fibre so was hoping that they wouldn't have anything in place to stop me using this router.

I know that specifically BT Infinity is supported by this router, but I also know that Sky's MER in not supported by this router. Sky Fibre Unlimited & Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro both use the same BT Openreach Modem. It is the authentication at the Sky servers which fails as this is done with the router.

With this in mind, I would be inclined to double check on Zen & ADSL24 forums before ordering. They may be fine, but I don't know.

In the case of Sky, there is now a fix available but you won't get the answer on their forums. Essentially any Cable router which can have DD-WRT's firmware installed can be used. The specific details are on the SkyUser forum.
Message 36 of 38
keith_thfc
Tutor

Despite promising me that I would definitely be activated for Fibre, BTo have moved my date back another 3 months.

I wonder if Netgear will bother replying to my outstanding refund/replacement tickets in that time.......

The DGDN3700v1 fails to reconnect when sync is lost on both ADSL1 and ADS2+ for me so the replacement v1 model offered by the retailer (kikatek) is of no use to me whatsover.

I asked them for a v2 replacement and they are saying no. Smiley Sad
Message 37 of 38
Scubbie
Apprentice

Don't be put off by BTO's extension. This is a common issue. Essentially the dates are always in 3 month blocks but in reality the exchange could go live next month.

They have a Twitter feed if you are interested in keeping track of what is happening.

The delays are normally caused by issues with the existing conduits where tree roots or some other issue has caused a blockage. Other issues such as labour shortage could also come into effect, especially in light of the current floods around the country.

Theft of the cabinets and cable is not unheard of either and this has caused some delays too..

As for your RMA, good luck.
Message 38 of 38
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E