Re: Bandwidth Issue

RONB007
Aspirant

Bandwidth Issue

Team,
I need some help troubleshooting a bandwidth issue. First I my ISP is Comcast -Infinity, the cable modem = Motorola MB8600 (DOCSIS 3.1) ; Router = NETGEAR – AC750 Wireless Duel Band Gigabit Router - R6050. I have the Blast Internet package which should be 400 MBps; only because Comcast could not get the Gigabit service to work. My issue is if I connect my workstation ( HP xw6600 ) downstairs beside the wan equipment I can consistently get 400 MBps. I have a gigabit switch downstairs and upstairs in my office. I have replaced all my network cables with CAT6 cables and have a 50 ft CAT6 connecting the two switches. If I do a speed test from upstairs either connected to the switch upstairs or directly to the MODEM I average from 60 to 120 MBps. I am running the cable from downstairs outside to the attic then between the drywall. I actually have two cables running from downstairs to upstairs purchased from pc connection. I have tested with my home computer which is a HP Z600 workstation and my work laptop HP Elitebook and both consistently get between 60 and 120 MBps.  The pc downstair is older than the equipment upstairs so it can't be the equipment. I have two new cables you wouldn't think both are bad from the store. Is there an issue with having the 50 feet cable? Do I need another router? Can someone tell me what the issue is?

Model: JR6150|AC750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
RONB007
Aspirant

Correction: I am connecting directly to the router not modem. I will try connecting directly to the modem in the morning.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Have you tried taking the laptop downstairs and hooking up with a short cable to test the speed? If it tests good on a 6ft cable then 50ft shouldn't matter unless there was interference somewhere in the line causing problems. It could be a bad cable but for 2 cable to be bad would be rare. Did they come prewired or did you wire them? Something else you could check. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@RONB007 wrote:

My issue is if I connect my workstation ( HP xw6600 ) downstairs beside the wan equipment I can consistently get 400 MBps. I have a gigabit switch downstairs and upstairs in my office. I have replaced all my network cables with CAT6 cables and have a 50 ft CAT6 connecting the two switches. If I do a speed test from upstairs either connected to the switch upstairs or directly to the MODEM I average from 60 to 120 MBps.

If the last part "or directly to the MODEM" would not be in place, I'd say there is a problem with the cabling and/or at least one of the two GbE switches.

As it appears the switch infrastructure and the router seems does either cause massive issues e.g. loop (why ever) - but then this would not hit the router WAN interface and knock down the direct modem available bandwidth.

Is or are there systems on your network creating Internet bandwidth usage? Intentionally like BT, P2P, download, ... or by mistake (malware, . abuse, ...)?

Message 4 of 6
RONB007
Aspirant

I am getting the same numbers whether connected directly to one of the GB ports on the back of the router or directly to the back of the cable modem. Both cables were purchased from pc connection. Would camera or coxial cables interfere with the network cable? One network cable is CAT 5e and the other is a CAT 6.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Just want to clarify what you've tried.  You say your workstation gets full speeds of 400mbps. I want to walk through everything that could be introducing errors/problems. start at the basic.

1.Bring a laptop down and connect directly with a 6ft connection to the router, what speed do you get?

2. take that laptop back upstairs and without hooking up the switches, just directly from back of router to laptop, what speed do you get?

3. Hook up the switch upstairs with ONE cable. what are the speeds?

4.Hook up the switch by the router. what speeds do you get?

Not sure why you have 2 cables running upstairs but switches on either end but that could be creating a loop problem. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E