Highlighted
Aspirant

Banning or restricing a specific mac address

Ideally, I'd like to just ban a particular mac address from the router. If that isn't possible, is there some workaround so the ip address given to the mac would not have internet access?
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Banning or restricing a specific mac address

How is the device connected to the router? Wired - there's not much you can do; Wireless - change the encryption key and don't make it available to anyone else.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

It's wireless. I was hoping I could just ban the mac address. There are a lot of other users I'd have to change with a change to the wireless password.
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Mentor

You CAN "ban" a specific MAC address using access control, however, it would take an experienced user no more than a minute or two to get past the ban.

Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks Fordem. I only see a list of allowed mac addresses, not a place to enter banned mac addresses.
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Virtuoso

I would say that an ‘allowed’ list is a little harder to bypass than a ‘disallowed’ list since to gain access with the allowed list requires a known MAC address, a disallowed list is easily defeated by changing to any MAC address other than your current one.

I guess that it could be an effort for you to set up an allowed list, which is what the router supports, but as Fordem has pointed out bypassing a disallowed list takes seconds and the method is readily available on the Internet.

It might help if you could let us know the reasoning behind wanting to block one MAC address, I would assume that the computer you want to block knows the encryption passphrase and so is known to you?
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey Andy,
Thanks for the reply. The environment (users) is highly non-technical. There is no way a single mac block would be thwarted, she has no idea what a MAC is.

We have Uni students in the house. We are tired of the fighting to get the task done of cleaning the bathroom weekly. So if the bathroom isn't cleaned, I clean it and take internet away. It costs $20.00 to have it restored.

Yes, I could maintain a list of allowed MAC's, but we also have one of the kids bringing home study groups that need WiFi access. This scenario would be a maintenance nightmare for me as I would adding MAC's late on a Friday night.

DD-WRT allows this, but I'd rather not go full firmware replacement for something like this.
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Mentor

If you think university students are non technical you're in for a big surprise - at least one of those in the study group either already knows how to bypass a MAC filter, or knows someone else who can - we're talking about people who explore technology because its there to be explored. If your router allows guest access, consider enabling that on a Friday evening & disabling during the rest of the week - a few dozen students all having your WiFi keys on their laptops is a security nightmare.

Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I don't know about 'university students', but I know about this one. She is technically illiterate and this single mac address ban would work fine.

As I mentioned earlier, DD-WRT has this capability but I didn't want to swap out the entire firmware just for this feature. I use the guest network so guests can get internet without having to bother me as at times it is quite late. This is not a weekend only thing.
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

Why can't anyone just answer this persons question rather than going on about how it depends on the other members of the families knowledge of network configurations whether the answer will work or not?

Geeze. One has to go clear through all the extra B.S. from you "smart" people just to find the answer to the original question.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements