× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Basic VLAN Help

paradoxcontrol
Follower

Basic VLAN Help

Hi,
I have an Asus RT-AC87U router with Asuswrt-Merlin installed.
I would like my server connect to the GS108Ev3 -> Router -> Internet.

Plugged in with default settings, that works, but I would like the GS108Ev3 devices to be on a VNET, I can set that up on the switch, but I don't know what to put for eg default gateway or the switch IP, and then I don't know how to get my router to detect / see it if I change anything there - can you help?

My router is 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway same as router IP.

If I wanted the devices behind the switch on say, 192.168.10.1, how do I see those devices from my PC or the switch? Could you tell me what settings to put where on the router?

1.png2.png3.png

Thank you,
para

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 3

Re: Basic VLAN Help

@paradoxcontrol wrote:

I have an Asus RT-AC87U router with Asuswrt-Merlin installed.
I would like my server connect to the GS108Ev3 -> Router -> Internet.

Switches are not usually the place to look for serious control over what happens on your network. I'd expect the router to be in charge.

But if there is anything that the switch controls, this is not the place to ask for help. It is for support with General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk and Non-Orbi).

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Discuss Ethernet Switches Plus and Pro Managed

will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Basic VLAN Help

Guess @michaelkenward already requested a moderator to move this thread Smart Plus And Smart Pro Managed Switches Forum already (not sure what added value the long reply should have there however).

@paradoxcontrol wrote:

Plugged in with default settings, that works, but I would like the GS108Ev3 devices to be on a VNET, I can set that up on the switch,...

Of course, the switch can be configured say for one port with a VLAN trunk config (for example VLAN xx [U]ntagged PIVD xx; and VLAN yy [T]ntagged) for the uplink to the router, and configure select other ports as access ports (VLAN xx [U]ntagged PIVD xx; and VLAN yy [U]ntagged PIVD yy)

@paradoxcontrol wrote:

...but I don't know what to put for eg default gateway or the switch IP, and then I don't know how to get my router to detect / see it if I change anything there 

The switch IP config is just for the switch administration, nothing else. It's a pure configurable L2 switch. Typically you will configure an address in your primary LAN (say LAN 1), DNS and default gateway pointing to the LAN 1 router IP.

@paradoxcontrol wrote:

If I wanted the devices behind the switch on say, 192.168.10.1, how do I see those devices from my PC or the switch? Could you tell me what settings to put where on the router?

Not sure why you want to do this. For two IP subnetworks, you need two networks (these could be VLANs of course), a router supporting multiple networks (IP subnets) on dedicated ports or ideally even VLANs, offer DHCP, offer routing between the networks, doing many2one NAT routing for two local networks (like LAN 1 and LAN 2). Not sure your router firmware does have these features.

@paradoxcontrol wrote:

Not sure why you want to do this. If you want to access and see all the devices from your PC (probably from your mobile, too) without any restrictions, just rune one network.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7