Re: Best Way to set up a 3700v4 as an Access Point

Magic_Martin
Aspirant

Best Way to set up a 3700v4 as an Access Point

Hello!

I'm a relative novice at setting up networks

I have bought another 3700v4 to act as an access point at the other end of our house to extend the Wifi coverage. I'm proposing the following configuration as far as this concerns:

Cable Modem (as a Modem not Router) -> 3700v4 (as the Router for Wifi and LAN including Xbox One) -> NEW 3700v4 (as an Access Point for Wifi and LAN including Xbox 360)

To clarify my only concern is with setting up the new 3700v4 to act as the Access Point (the other one works perfectly)

Looking at the Netgear 3700v4 Manual Page 74 - it says there is a "built in" Access Point mode and explains how to set it up which looks surprisingly simple - interestingly it clearly shows the input port of the "3700v4 which is the AP" being connected to the "Existing" Router via the 3700 AP's Internet Port and not LAN port (and not a LAN port)*

Looking elsewhere on the internet it shows manual methods of setting up the Netgear routers in general as AP (uncheck DHCP etc). Interestingly these say to connect the AP to the Router using one of the AP's Four LAN ports - which is very different to the above (see *)

My simple question is - what is the best way to set up the second 3700v4 as an Access Point to ensure:
1. Open NAT on the Xbox 360 when playing on the Xbox One.
2. To enable me to set up secured network including "MAC Address protection" and hiding the SSIDs (I'm assuming it will set up Wifi with WPA 2).
3. Once set up how would I then separately access the original "Router" 3700v4 and the New "Access Point" 3700v4 to say update Firmware or Permitted MAC ID's in the future?
4. Any thing else I should have asked but am too naïve to think of

Thanks very much

Martin
Message 1 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If the AP Mode actually does work then I would recommend using it.
Message 2 of 4
svenmeier
Aspirant

Hi,

just configure the 3700v4 as an access point:

>1. Open NAT on the Xbox 360 when playing on the Xbox One.

Should work.

>2. To enable me to set up secured network including "MAC Address protection" and hiding the SSIDs (I'm assuming it will set up Wifi with WPA 2).

Works.

>3. Once set up how would I then separately access the original "Router" 3700v4
>and the New "Access Point" 3700v4 to say update Firmware or Permitted MAC
>ID's in the future?

The access point will get an IP from your router, so you can access it as any other device in your original network.

One interesting caveat I observed here with my 3700v4 though:
Currently I have a television connected to my access point only. Once I turn the television off, the access point itself is no longer reachable by IP Smiley Sad.
I have to reboot it to be able to access its settings.

Can you confirm this problem?

Sven
Message 3 of 4
Magic_Martin
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies

I set it up using the built in 'set as AP' option after setting up new SSID and pass phrase plus mac protection.

For information the set up was initially painfully slow wasting a couple of hours which seemed to be due to one or both of the following :

1. Using a laptop which kept trying to connect via wifi in addition (or more likely as primary means) to LAN Cat 6 cable meaning it was getting in a mess and unexpectedly disconnecting when updating SSID etc etc.

2. I'd forgot that the Netgear Genie software was installed on the laptop from when setting up the first router when away on holiday and basically that was running (by default and in the end had to uninstall it) in addition to the internet explorer means I was using to configure it)

In the end I connected the new AP to my desktop pc to the Router and configured it in minutes.

All seems good with great wifi, open Nats on xbox one and 360. Using the laptop I connected to the AP fine by switching off wireless then using cat 6 cable to a LAN port then using routerlogin.net means from internet explorer.

Lastly I could successfully connect via wifi to the AP using the address method mentioned in the above post (without a tv or anything else powered connected to the AP). However after logging out I noticed the main router lights were in a strange configuration (all on including LAN for unpowered devices) so I then decided to reboot the whole network. I don't understand this but guess the login maybe confused as I set both 3700 with same admin password. Anyway next time I need to configure/update the AP I will connect via cat 6 directly.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements