Hi,

can you recommend a good PCI-E Card for my Dell 1510 netbook?:confused:

Bye
duffy6
Message 1 of 8
Simon0
Novice

Re: Best pci-e card for WNDR4000

intel 6300 w/ 3 GOOD, properly spaced antennas will give you unbelievably good performance.
Message 2 of 8
Duffy6
Aspirant

Sounds great!
Anybody out there who built a Intel 6300 into a Dell Vostro (1510)?
Any problems known?
Message 3 of 8
Simon0
Novice

I'm not sure if Dell uses whitelisting in its bios, but HP sure does and it is a headache to mod the bios to accept the card. It can brick the bios, alot of people just use a usb adapter instead or glue a small usb wireless adapter within the laptop.

Personally, like you, I like the mini-pci-express adapter option, but it can be VERY time consuming to get it done on your own if it's not compatible. You should call Dell and ask which mini-pci-express wireless adapter is dual-band 3 stream and also on their approved list (if applicable) for your laptop. Or send it to dell or dell authorized dealer and have them perform the "upgrade" for you. If it's under warranty it should be relatively cheap.
Message 4 of 8
tului
Novice

By whitelisting I assume you mean having a section that defines only certain cards are allowed to work?

I can't believe it's legal for companies to do this. I already don't buy HP products, but this is another reason to hate them more. Of course I could probably mod the BIOS as well. What do they use mmtool?
I am in no way affiliated with Netgear other than as a consumer. Anything I advise may break your router and void your warranty.
Message 5 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

In the past replacing pci-e card on laptop never gave an issues

Should able detected the card and able to install it.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 8
Simon0
Novice

tului wrote:
By whitelisting I assume you mean having a section that defines only certain cards are allowed to work?

I can't believe it's legal for companies to do this. I already don't buy HP products, but this is another reason to hate them more. Of course I could probably mod the BIOS as well. What do they use mmtool?

Since it's a Dell, you should just buy a card first and see if it works or call dell first. There are many ways to mod the bios, depending on whether it's phoenix, dell, ami, insyde, etc... you'd need several tools, though... plus a hex editor... to mod the hardware id string.
Message 7 of 8
bobj
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
intel 6300 w/ 3 GOOD, properly spaced antennas will give you unbelievably good performance.

I second this. I upgraded my Toshiba Laptop PC to an Intel 6300 and added a third antenna, and the performance is outstanding. Then I replaced my HDs with hybrid SSD-HD drives (laptops) or Velociraptors (desktops and TIVO) and my home LAN devices are even faster. I have a dozen active devices on my WNDR4000, and it is a dream configuration. I do a lot of large file digital photography and video editing, and the LAN supports it fully.

If your Dell accepts a 6300, I think you will be pleased with it's performance.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E