• 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Novice

Best way to setup 4300 to ASUS AC-68U

I have been using a Netgear 4300 in my lounge for a while now, everything in the house either connects wirelessly or through cable to it and then by lan cable to the next room it connects to my modem which as of a couple days ago is a ASUS DSL-AC68U.

It all works OK but I noticed that if I connect my PC wirelessly to the ASUS I get roughly 5Mpbs download and .8 upload but if I connect to the Netgear I get only roughly 4 Mbps download and ,2 upload. The difference is the same when using a laptop as well

Considering the Netgear is only about 9 / 10 feet away from my pc and the ASUS is on the other side of the house with walls etc in between I don't understand why the 4300 isn't the faster one.

Any help to rectify this would be appreciated please

My OS is Windows and the laptop is windows 7

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Best way to setup 4300 to ASUS AC-68U

Since your Asus is a router, do you have the ‘4300 configured as an Access Point? The default MTU (1500) of the ‘4300 is a little high for the average DSL connection, you could try lowering it to something like 1492 or even lower e.g. 1400 or 1350. This however would normally only apply if the ‘4300 is operating as a router.
Highlighted
Novice

The 4300 is running as a router, thought about AP but that's as far as it goes
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well running two routers in series, and the likely need to adjust the MTU, could be the cause of your issues.
Highlighted
Novice

I lowered the MTU on the ASUS to 1458. I have no problems changing the Netgear to AP if that's what it will take, I just want the best preformance I can get from the Netgear
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you operate the ‘4300 as an AP then that should work fine and there would be no need to adjust its MTU, the option might be greyed out anyway in that configuration. If you continue to use the ‘4300 as a router then its MTU should also be adjusted.
Novice

Got it running in AP for the last day and speed tests show it is only marginally slower now than the ASUS.

Thanks for the help, appreciated
Message 7 of 7