× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blinking green power light (as opposed to amber) after uploading firmware using TFTP2

Michael________
Aspirant

Blinking green power light (as opposed to amber) after uploading firmware using TFTP2

Hi,

Recently I was trying to uninstall OpenWRT from a Netgear WNR1000v3 router and during the process I accidentally overwrote the firmware with the wrong file, bricking the device. At that point, the power LED was blinknig amber. Naturally, I tried reuploading the firmware via tftp2.exe. I got a "success" dialog, but ever since then, the router appears to be even more bricked.

First off, the power LED has started blinking green as opposed to the typical amber. What's worse, I seem to be unable to talk to the router at all: it doesn't specify a default gateway and looks like DHCP is broken too (note the autoconfiguration IP address).

Untitled.png

I've tried:

• restarting both the router and the computer (duh)
  • pressing the reset button for various amounts of time (the LED just stops blinking for as long as I hold it)
  • assigning a static default gateway via the Network Connections panel on Windows (the static address doesn't respond to ping)
  • inserting the plug into different ethernet ports on the router
  • using a different power adapter
  • resetting my TCP/IP settings using the netsh utility

Any clues as to what is happening? Thanks.

Model: WNR1000v3|N150 Wireless Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blinking green power light (as opposed to amber) after uploading firmware using TFTP2

Any chance that you can get in again and try the tftp thing?

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe it was a partial flash.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

Re: Blinking green power light (as opposed to amber) after uploading firmware using TFTP2

Any chance that you can get in again and try the tftp thing?

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe it was a partial flash.

Message 2 of 3
Michael________
Aspirant

Wow, interestingly enough, the router responds from a static default gateway ONLY when the IP address is set to 192.168.1.10. That was my mistake, I previously set it to something like 192.168.0.200 thinking it wouldn't matter.

Thank you very much, that did solve the problem!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7