× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Blinking power light - but not all te time

PXRG
Tutor

Blinking power light - but not all te time

I have the (apprently quite common) problem of a blinking power light on my R6300 router.  Manual and forums say this could be a firmware problem or a problem with the power supply to the router.

My issue is that it does not happen all of the time.  If I cycle power on the router (which I rarely do - but have just done while I was away on holiday) one of three things happens:

1. Everything works fine so far as I can tell - internet OK, LAN OK, media server OK, USB storage access OK, can login via browser and see/alter settings.

2. Partly works.  LEDs look normal during start-up, LAN works, internet available on all attached devices via wire and WiFi but: no access to USB attached storage, no media server and the config page comes up as unavailable if I try to connect via a browser (using routerlogin.net or .com or the router IP in either chrome or IE).

3. Does not work at all.  Green flashing power LED, no internet on any device, no LAN so far as I can tell [I have not tried pinging the router when in this state and can't now without switching it off - I am currently in condition 2]

Number 3 is most likely, then probably 2 and then 1.  It seems more likely to work if it has been off for a while rather than a quick power cycle but mostly seems random.  Once up and running it seems stable working for weeks at a time without problems.

I have not tried reloading firmware nor finding an alternative power supply (none of the ones in my house are 12v 5A compatible ...)

Any ideas on whether I am likely to have a firmware or hardware problem or is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

I've had the same issue on a 6300. I was lucky and managed to reload the firmware, and was was back to normal in no time. I would reload the firmware while you can..

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
netwrks
Master

I've had the same issue on a 6300. I was lucky and managed to reload the firmware, and was was back to normal in no time. I would reload the firmware while you can..

Message 2 of 11
Daenerys
Luminary

It seems firmware issue to me but I also recommend to try different power supply for further isolation. What version are you using by the way? If it is version 1, make sure to update it to the latest firmware version. 

Message 3 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

When the light is blinking, can you ping the router via it's ip address? If you can what is the TTL value?

Message 4 of 11
PXRG
Tutor

Sorry to be slow - have been offline for a few days

Yes I can ping the router on its IP address the TTL is 100 with a connection via a wireless access point (a reconfigured older router that I use to extend WiFi coverage) and powerline adapters.  I have not tried it with a direct cable connection.

Message 5 of 11
PXRG
Tutor

I am not sure whether I have V1 or V2.  The model number on the router does not include a version and I cannot get into the configuration utility to see whether that says!  I huess I have a V1.

Message 6 of 11
PXRG
Tutor

On the TTL question.  I thought that ping started with a TTL of 255 (usually). 100 implies a huge number of routers between me and my local router - does the netgear stuff use the TTL as a diagnostic code when it is in failure?

Message 7 of 11
PXRG
Tutor

Thanks for the advice. I pushed the latest fimware for V1 onto the router and it appears so far to have done the trick. Even have a couple of new features!

Message 8 of 11
VE6CGX
Master

TTL=100 means router is waiting for firmware load. Either your AC power adapter is flaky or router is

flaky. When it is normal TTL=64. When light is not blinking try to repoad f/w and factory resey, reconfigure

to see it settles down. If you want to load f/w when light is blinking use tftp method.

Message 9 of 11
PXRG
Tutor

Thanks - I used the tftp method and it now seems fine. Fingers crossed it was corrupted firmware. Not sure how it got corrupted though ...

Message 10 of 11
Daenerys
Luminary

Hi, 

Glad to know that the power light blinking issue is now fixed. I hope that you will not encounter the same problem again. To prevent this from happening again, always have the router plugged in to a power socket directly and have it updated once Netgear releases new firmware. 

Have a great day!

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7