Blocking all internet traffic, but skype still works

I have this set up.
Services blocking: Per schedule
User defined
Protocol TCP/UDP
Starting port 1
Ending port 65534
IP address range: 192.168.10.60 to 192.168.10.79

I have both my sons IPs assigned in that address range.
Schedule starts blocking at 22:00 and ends at 7:00
This ends all traffic at 10pm for my kids. Or so I thought. Last night my son was still chatting away on skype.

So I tested this out on my network. I extended the IP address range to cover my laptop, and changed the scheduled block time. Sure enough, it blocked pinging, web traffic, but I could still use skype.

What am I missing here that allows skype to continue to work?

(haha, I realize most people problems are how to make something work, not how to make them stop working)
Message 1 of 10
jlewter
Guide

Re: Blocking all internet traffic, but skype still works

My guess, and it is just a guess, is that all existing connections are kept going until the session is over.

You could test this by opening a telnet session before the cut-off and see if it is still working once the trigger time happens.

Another thing to be aware of is that I think, and I don't keep up with Skype so I could be really wrong here, that Skype can bounce off of other nodes within the same network if that allows them to get traffic out. I think for this to work you would typically need a Internet facing IP on the device running the Skype software, but a device in the DMZ may do that, and perhaps multiple layers of NAT could cause it as well.

If you do find out that the data is being sent to another box and then out from there, then you can disable the SuperNode feature, https://www.grc.com/sn/notes-114.htm (bottom of page), but be aware, this might not be your issue.

Try the thing with telnet first and see what the results are, If that shows that existing connections are kept then your a bit stuck.
Message 2 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Try using wireshark and also see what traffic is like...

Also in times when you use block schedule any active traffic prior the start time can lead to continue.

Not sure if you had skype closed (not running background at all) and after the block time you try to use if still working or blocking
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 10
JasperJones
Aspirant

Great replies guys, thanks! I did try skype after blocking time and it would not connect, it's only still active if the connection is initiated before the block schedule has started.

I will try your telnet suggestion or at least some other persistent connections (I'll download something) when I get home from work. Thanks for the suggestions.
Message 4 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Great replies guys, thanks! I did try skype after blocking time and it would not connect, it's only still active if the connection is initiated before the block schedule has started.

Figure.. this is the typical issues on blocking that you will see on ALL netgear home end routers.

I think you may able to fix easily by using timer to power cycle the router and kill the traffic to existing pc and devices so that you can block it when router comes back on and traffic will be block.

try power cycle manually tonight say 22:15 and if you see skype will not connect. It should work the same ...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-24-Hour-Plug-In-Basic-Timer-15119/100685881#.UjDQHxav2bA
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 10
Devor
Luminary

Here's one way to prevent unauthorized access. Lock the router in a room and place the router's wall-wart on a timer that keeps the router powered off until you can be there the next morning. The next morning reset timer, power up the router and load a previously saved configuration. Wash and repeat.

Well, it's not perfect and I only said it was one way. Smiley Happy

The easier you make it for yourself, the easier you make it for anyone else.
_____
WNDR3700v1 (v1.0.7.98NA) - Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1155:02:31:46 - How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Message 6 of 10
loki7777
Novice

Is there no way to fix that problem with open connections?
It is really annoying and useless if it doesn't work as it should.
I set back time zone to block from 20:30 till 9:30 next day but with any open connection(skypeSmiley Happy you are unable to block it.
I was happy with dd-wrt but my printer didn't work over wifi (Espon PX 730 - Artisan in US i think).
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Is there no way to fix that problem with open connections?

Contact support
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 10
loki7777
Novice

Yep, probably the only way.
But maybe you know does it works well with dd-wrt?
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You should join DD-WRT forum. I don't use it so I can not comment it
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 10