Highlighted
Aspirant

Bought D6300 friday, spent weekend trying to solve this problem -

I work from home - my office is a log cabin in the garden. BT Business Broadband ADSL socket (and all the domestic IT Kit) in the house, my SBS2008 Server/printer(s), PCs, W8 'proving' PC, Mac mini, Linux, Windows Home Server etc. in the cabin, Cat5e cable between the two buildings, WiFi access point in the cabin (modern windows/walls kill WiFi between the two buildings).

Configured D6300 in the house, port forwarding for SBS server, email & remote access to server working fine. Configured WiFi to have same SSID(s) as previous router. The Logitech Squeezebox, an Android tablet, various phones, all happy with WiFi in the house, and it is definitely quicker than previous router.

BUT my venerable HP 2710p Windows Tablet (W7 Ultimate), my Wife's little Dell Notebook (W7 Professional), and my Surface RT (no, really) normally live in the house, not the office. AND they all returned 'unauthenticated' to the WiFi connection to the D6300, and no internet. W7 diagnostics report 'correctly configured but DNS Server not responding'. I've Googled the issue, which seems fairly common, and somehow have managed to get the 2710p working. However, Dell notebook and Surface still not happy. I can connect them to the WiFi access point in the cabin, as before, and they work fine.

Help! ANY suggestions, procedures to get authentication working again, very gratefully received.
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Bought D6300 friday, spent weekend trying to solve this problem -

Also, the netbook works fine if connected to the D6300 by a cable. Haven't thought of plumbing in the Surface that way.
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Possible wireless encryption you are using and/or wireless mode settings
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks - the puzzle is that a) the computers were working fine with the previous router, b) i specifically configured the new router with the same security and key, c) nothing has changed in the general setup of the network. The server provides DHCP and DNS, which are obviously working other than through the wifi connection to the new router. The W7 system thinks it is successfully connected to the router, and has an IP address - just no 'authentication', and seemingly no access to the server. The new router has internet DNS server addresses, but seems unprepared to fall back to them, and they wouldn't help with local network addresses anyway. The problem seems to be more with W7, since other devices aren't having any trouble, and I have made one laptop work - it is just that I tried so many things (leave the domain, rejoin, various netsh commands to reset/flush things, and I don't know what all) that I have no means of repeating them.

I'd be pleased if anyone with direct W7/SBS 2008 technical knowledge were able to comment!
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Changes in router makes huge changes. Encryption is one thing but there is other issues with wireless mode and encryption combination totally change.

Even rest is working this one unit may not like what you choose to use for wireless mode/encryption combination

So if you have not change any wireless mode and encryption types I would start from there.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

will there be a firmware update to solve D6300 wireless problems soon ?
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Firmware usually are released on quarterly basis or unless immediate releases is necessary but there is not way to tell when they will

Contact support at my.netgear.com if you have an issues /concern you need to get hold of support.

Forum is "only" user to user base only
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I too had problems with this router.

Contacted netgear tec support, and at first they were asking some relevant questions, but then I got the “do a hard reset of the router and start from scratch” response.

I was VERY reluctant to do this as it takes some time to re-enter all the information, but thought what the heck, I am spending enough time trying to sort this out, so why not.

Anyway, it worked, but I had to delete some of the devices connection details and re-enter them though.

Try it, and start adding one device at a time checking that it works.

Swerv
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements