Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Bugs in new Firmware v1.0.1.36_1.0.63

stevies3 wrote:
Is the newer "AP" mode by ticking the AP box a better solution than the old manual LAN ->LAN connection for a wired AP?

Slimey should chime in on this too.
But I think the answer is -
Yes. IF you can live with the mystery of why the Power LED is flashing an error alert.

Can't believe Netgear was this careless.
What did they do, cut and paste the AP Mode code from another router and then not test it?

I wonder if anyone at Netgear understandds if my last firmware expereince on one of their aging products is a crappy expereince, I am not inclined to buy a new Netgear product in the future.

Dropping support is fine. Dropping the ball is not.
Message 26 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

stevies3 wrote:
Is the newer "AP" mode by ticking the AP box a better solution than the old manual LAN ->LAN connection for a wired AP?

Hard to say that it's really better. Functionally it seems the same...but you do get an extra port in the back which I suppose is a bonus. The set up is a little more streamlined which may be useful for those that don't know the few steps to manually set up.

I don't know that the logs not being accurate on the AP makes a difference as I have another device doing the router work and the AP just really acts as a wired and wireless switch.

I just have a small home network connecting about 20 devices between each other and the internet. Not sure if this solution would work for those with more complex networking needs.
Message 27 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I could use the extra LAN port. I'm going to give it try this weekend. I'll make a backup of both units so if I need, I can restore easier.....
Message 28 of 97
Highlighted
Luminary

Has anyone contacted tech support about the flashing light?
Message 29 of 97
Highlighted
Tutor

NightOwl326 wrote:

Sit on hold.
Hope to get someone who speaks English as a first language.
Listen as they walk you through
Did you plug the router in?
Did you reboot your computer?
and all the other non-sense.
Just to report a bug which should be their job?

That wold be ... no.

If Netgear wants to pay me for my time to bugcheck their firmware I will be happy to do so.

But hey, you're more than welcome to call them. LOL
Message 30 of 97
Highlighted
Tutor

NightOwl326 wrote:

Iposted a longer and semi sarcastic reply to your question. But apparently it angered the "forum gods" and my post got proofed away.

In short - no I haven't reported it.
Have you?
Message 31 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

jsimmons wrote:
After downgrade to Version V1.0.1.20_1.0.40, I have not lost WAN connection in the last 24 hours.

Done the same and reporting no loss of WAN since 17 May 2013.

Netgear, please get it fixed.
Message 32 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

Need some help here. My previous configuration with my 2 x WNDR4500 was one was my primary router with it setup as 10.0.01 thru 10.0.0.254 with DHCP enabled. My second router was set up as an AP LAN-->LAN (manual)with static 10.0.0.100 with DHCP disabled. As mentioned in a previous post I wanted to enable the AP (automatic) using the new AP feature by ticking the box on the second router. I did just that and it setup my AP with an address of 10.0.0.27 with it now connected as WAN-->LAN. Prob lines is my LAN ports aren't detecting the Internet on the AP, but the wireless on the AP works as it should. Are there any other settings I need to set for it to work correctly?
Message 33 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just upgraded to v1.0.1.36_1.0.63 after my second firmware corruption in about 6 months of ownership. I had v1.0.1.20_1.0.40 previously. I upgraded only because it was newer and since I had to reinstall I figured "why not..." The last time was Mar 13 and now again 2-1/2 months later. Not getting a warm fuzzy about this.

Seems to be working ok, but then again, it's only been about an hour. Time will tell...

I wish there was a clear listing of changes to the various firmwares readily available. I know I saw it during my last upgrade, but haven't found it again. I've already put enough time into this and will probably just give up, unless someone here has a quick link.

Good luck to us all!
Message 34 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm here because I have found that the same router update has mess mine up and on a lease renewal that the internet seem to cut out.... I cant roll back the firmware because I don't remember when I had bought the router and can't get support because of that! If any one can help; it would be much welcome...
Message 35 of 97
Highlighted
Apprentice

racingmainck wrote:
... I cant roll back the firmware because I don't remember when I had bought the router and can't get support because of that!

You may need the purchase date in order to determine if you still qualify for telephone support, but the "chat" support doesn't require it AFAIK.

Anyways, rolling back the firmware shouldn't be any different to flashing it with a new firmware, except that you'd download the version you want, which won't be the one that's causing issues for you now. That procedure should be in the manual if you look for it.

You can also follow this procedure posted by a Devor. It's not for your model, but the general procedure is the same. Flashing firmware is always risky, so some of the steps are included to eliminate risk as much as possible. You can skip some of the steps, but just understand the risk you are taking.
Message 36 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

So I bought this router so i could plug in an external hard drive and access all of my movie files anywhere in my house. It was working until I upgraded the firmware and now the router won't even acknowledge that the hard drive is plugged in. I think I've tried everything to get it back up and running with no luck. I don't know much when it comes to 'advanced' users, but I can muddle my way through most. Has anyone else had issues with hard drives not being recognized?
Message 37 of 97
Highlighted
Guide

reamest wrote:
Has anyone else had issues with hard drives not being recognized?
After updating the firmware the USB ports are "sometimes" disabled by default. Go to the Advanced tab of the router, click on the Advanced Setup (last selection on the left panel), Select USB Setting at bottom. There make sure that "Yes" is selected.
Message 38 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

the same internet loss problem...reinstalled new firmware 3 times...came back to V1.0.1.20_1.0.40 and no problem :mad: Smiley Wink
Message 39 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm wondering if the flashing amber LED over the steady Green LED is not intentional. Remember, there is also a warning in yellow / amber when you log in that the router is in AP mode, so why not also flash the LED as a visual indicator that it is in fact in AP mode versus standard (non-) AP mode? I'm happy this thread is here overall b/c it gives me an idea of what to expect - I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade to the new firmware and see if I am afflicted by any of these bugs, although I don't see how I can really check #1 b/c my 4500 is actually just a router. I have a WN2000RPT that I bought thinking (mistakenly) that I could use it as an AP, and now I have to deal with it soft-bricking itself every few days (randomly, sometimes in a day, sometimes in a fortnight) b/c I want it to pass the DHCP over to the 4500 instead of setting up two separate DHCP servers in different areas of the house. I might go out and buy a second 4500 and use it in AP mode, thus also allowing me to test for bug #1 - but not any time soon.
Message 40 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

Trulgor wrote:
Ever since I upgraded to v1.0.1.36_1.0.63 the router looses its Internet Connection every now and then. I will then manually have to reboot it to reconnect to my ISP (AllTele in Sweden) within any reasonable time. The last two nights it lost the Internet Connection but it was working again in the next morning without me manually rebooting the router.

I have currently downgraded to v1.0.1.20_1.0.40 again because the 1.0.1.36_1.0.63 firmware is useless to me.
Does anyone else experience a similar problem?

I have the same problem with my ISP (Bredband2). I will do the same, downgrade the firmware.
Message 41 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I downgraded for 10 hours ago and I haven´t got any lost of Connections.
Message 42 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I bought this a few days ago, and on first setting up, it indicated there was a newer firmware version available, so I just updated there and then.
Connection has been flakey ever since. All day today its been on and off. I havew rebooted about 4 times, reset once, and rebooted the modem twice. Runs for about 15min to 30 mins, then everything grinds to a halt again. I have just downgraded the firmware to v1.0.1.2 0.40. All seems good so far. Does anyone know of any issues with this firmware version?
Message 43 of 97
Highlighted
Luminary

I have to say I have had this router the 4500 for about 2 months and I also upgraded the firmware about a month ago and I have had NO issues what so ever. Not sure why some people do and some don't but the firmware does work fine here. Comcast ISP, Zoom 5341J for my modem. Good Luck with it..
Message 44 of 97
Highlighted
Luminary

I also wanted to add that the router has never disconnected and no device had ever disconnected from it and I have a few of them. Desktop computer, 2 laptops, 2 Galaxy 10.1 tablets, 2 I phone 4's and 2 roku boxes. In fact this router replaced my Cisco EA-4500 that worked ok but did not like the fact of the Cloud they use to access the UI. I can honestly say the Netgear WNDR-4500 is the best working router I have ever used. And no I don't work for Netgear just my personal experience.
Message 45 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

This is a new problem since the update. 2G Wifi has authentication problems when devices try to connect, requiring me to reboot the router; after a few hours it happens again. 5G works fine.
Message 46 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm a little late to the firmware upgrade and I have the same Zoom 534IJ cable modem. Prior to the upgrade my router had been fine for a year. Since the upgrade I lose my Internet connection once a day and running the "detect Internet connection" function is the most reliable way to get it back. A reboot doesn't work each time. I'm on Cox and since I recently had some work done on my Cable I thought the issue might be Cox. After 3 days of consecutive evening redetecting the connection I think it's the firmware. I'm planning to try the downgrade if I don't see an update shortly.
Message 47 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

Further info on my above post. After a full reset and reconfiguration, I'm still getting authentication errors on 2G wifi, but not so far on the guest 2G.
Message 48 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

TheOldMan wrote:
I'm a little late to the firmware upgrade and I have the same Zoom 534IJ cable modem. Prior to the upgrade my router had been fine for a year. Since the upgrade I lose my Internet connection once a day and running the "detect Internet connection" function is the most reliable way to get it back. A reboot doesn't work each time. I'm on Cox and since I recently had some work done on my Cable I thought the issue might be Cox. After 3 days of consecutive evening redetecting the connection I think it's the firmware. I'm planning to try the downgrade if I don't see an update shortly.

Downgrade of firmware went very smoothly. System recognized cable instantly as it has done before. It took awhile to get the older firmware to recognize the Internet connection so I could download the downgrade firmware. The downgrade is zipped and the file extension is *.chk which I did not expect, but it worked fine. I thought I might lose my settings with a downgrade but those stayed intact. Of course the router is also telling me an upgrade is available but I think I will pass on that. I have not had problems with Guest or Main Wireless on either 2.4 or 5 Ghz bands. Wired connections had also worked fine with old and new firmware. Random drop of Internet was the only issue. Previously I was able to reconnect with the Setup option to "redetect Internet". This time I had to power off both router and cable modem a couple times.
Message 49 of 97
Highlighted
Aspirant

A few days now since I downgraded the firmware, and no lost connections or internet outages since. Its too much of a coincidence.
Message 50 of 97
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements