× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MiachaelRe: Buy New Router N300 WNR2000V5

MYnetGD49
Guide

Buy New Router N300 WNR2000V5

I presently have a Netgear N300 Wnr2000V2 Router. I am experiencing very slow connections and Spectrum suggested replacing it with a N300 Wnr2000V4 or N300 Wnr2000V5. Are these still available and if so where can I buy one?

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

I think $49 for a gigabit capable RAX35 would be way under budget 🙂 and a massive upgrade versus the WNR2000 or the R6120. 

Performance on both of those is pretty anemic but the RAX35 has some pretty solid speeds. Only downfall is its a 2x2 antenna device but has 160hz wide channels. Again, still way above the other devices. 

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 17

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Re: Buy New Router N300 WNR2000V5

Message 2 of 17

@MYnetGD49 wrote:

I presently have a Netgear N300 Wnr2000V2 Router. I am experiencing very slow connections and Spectrum suggested replacing it with a N300 Wnr2000V4 or N300 Wnr2000V5. Are these still available and if so where can I buy one?

Heavenly knows why anyone would suggest that you buy a router from 2014 that first appeared in 2008 is baffling.

In any case, a new router isn't likely to do much from your Internet speeds if the modem in front of it and your Internet service are slow.

Neither of those routers will do anything for your wifi speeds. N300 wifi technology is pretty well 20th century.

Pretty well any router works with most modems. Buy something designed for the 2020s.

Start by telling people what the ISP's modem is – make and model – and what sort of Internet service you have and you might get better advice.

Message 3 of 17
MYnetGD49
Guide

Michael, thank you for your reply.  As I mentioned, I am a Spectrum customer and have been for about 17 years, most of which was with their voice modem and my internet modem (Netgear CM400) and router (Netgear N300 WNR2000V2). I previously had 200mbps service and they recently upgrade me to 500mbps service. With that they supplied a new modem, for voice and data. The new modem is a Technicolor ET2251. I have run a speed test with PC hooked directly from the modem to the pc and verified the internet speed at about 586.9mbps download and 23.6mbps upload speed. With my router I get about 90mbps on my pc, wired to the router and about 30mbps with my tablet wifi'd to the router. I was told by the technician at Spectrum that if I was to buy a new router that I should look for one that gave a minimum advertised rate of 300mbps download speed. Ideally I am hoping to stay under $100, or if not close to it. This is just used in our house with a pc (wired) and wifi devices including (3) streaming tv's with roku, (1) Portal unit for video chatting with our granddaughters, cellphones, (2) tablets but not all at the same time. Maybe this is more information that you need but maybe if it is you can advise where I should look for an appropriate unit. Thank you.

Message 4 of 17
plemans
Guru

Avoid the WNR2000. its not a gigabit capable device and can only hit 10/100mbps speeds. Which is what's bottlenecking you. 

If it was me, I'd search on amazon for a "renewed netgear ax5400"

Its a little over your budget right now but is a solid dual band AX router thats going to be much better performing than the WNR2000. 

The listing also has the AX3000 renewed for pretty darned cheap too but either would be a big step up. 

Message 5 of 17

@MYnetGD49 wrote:

With my router I get about 90mbps on my pc, wired to the router and about 30mbps with my tablet wifi'd to the router.

That is because your current router is so old that, as @plemans says, it is a lot slower than your Internet connection.

According to Netgear's manual for the WNR2000V2, not always the most reliable source of information, the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. At a top speed of 100 Mbps, that makes it slower than your internet service. It is slower than the 200 Mbps you paid for. (Did you ever measure the speed from that?)

The last thing you want is another one of those, even a newer version. Yet more hopeless advice from your ISP.

Ideally I am hoping to stay under $100, or if not close to it. This is just used in our house with a pc (wired) and wifi devices including (3) streaming tv's with roku, (1) Portal unit for video chatting with our granddaughters, cellphones, (2) tablets but not all at the same time. Maybe this is more information that you need but maybe if it is you can advise where I should look for an appropriate unit.

Not at all, that is just the sort of information we need. It shows that your requirements are very modest.

By all means chase around for exotic "recycled" devices but many people prefer to play it safe and to get a shiny new box off the shelf.

Just about anything you buy today would be better than the WNR2000V2. For just over $100 you can get the brand new R6700AX or the R6900P for $76.49. (These are from Amazon but there may be alternative suppliers out there.)

My guess is that someone who has survived on the WNR2000V2 would be blown away by anything newer.

Message 6 of 17
MYnetGD49
Guide

MiachaelRe: Buy New Router N300 WNR2000V5

Michael Kenward, What about a

NETGEAR - AC1200 WiFi Router, 1.2Gbps (R6120)

from Walmart for $74.00?

I may be showing my ignorance but I am looking for something that would give me download speed at my computer close to that of my modem, buy a new unit, local if possible, Walmart not Amazon, for no more than $100 if possible.

This unit appears to meet my needs but wanted your input.

Thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 17

@MYnetGD49 wrote:

Michael Kenward, What about a

NETGEAR - AC1200 WiFi Router, 1.2Gbps (R6120)

NO!

Netgear's basic device. It falls at the first hurdle.

According to Netgear's manual for this device, not always the most reliable source of information (the details for the R6120 are wrong), the LAN and WAN ports support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than your internet service and most modern network hardware.

It is no better than the WNR2000V2 and, at 100 Mbps max, will throw away most of the 400 Mbps you pay for.

Look for something that says "Gigabit Ethernet" on the box or, more technical, 1000Base-T.

Message 8 of 17
MYnetGD49
Guide

Thanks again Michael for your ongoing support. I thought I had met recommendations, where they stated 1.2gbps but evidently not.I will go back and do more research.

I don't remember if it was you or someone else asked me what speeds I was getting, with old modem and new modem:

Spectrum's Advertised Speed of Old Service, 200mbps, I measured over 200mbps download speed, I think 216..

Spectrum's Advertised Speed of New Service, 500mbps, I measured over 586.9mbps download speed.

As I have been told my bottleneck is the speed of the router.

Taking your reply of "Look for something that says "Gigabit Ethernet" on the box or, more technical, 1000Base-T." I guess I am confused but will look closer for these specs. In my not up to date mind I thought I found these specs, 1.2gbps.

I know this is probably too much to ask but if you would not mind could you look at the Walmart Website and see if you spot something that meets your suggestions? Ideally available at the Geneva NY store, zip 14456. If you would rather not fine and no problem.

Have a good day Michael.

Message 9 of 17
plemans
Guru

Thats the wifi aggregate link speeds. 

If you look at walmart, theres a RAX35 on sale for $49

Its gigabit and much newer technology. 

Message 10 of 17
MYnetGD49
Guide

OK, so would a

NETGEAR - Nighthawk AX3000 WiFi 6 Router, 3Gbps (RAX35) for $49.00 meet my needs?

So what download speeds would you estimate based on the information I provide? This is available off the shelf at my local Walmart.

Thank you for your input.

Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

It should easily hit your needs. Much much more performance than the R6120 you linked to early by a wide margin. Here's a review of the RAX40. It won't have the same performance but it should be pretty similar. 

https://dongknows.com/netgear-rax40-ax4-wi-fi-6-router-review/

When you start getting to those speeds, its more about the device you're using being the bottleneck versus the router. 

Message 12 of 17

Does that fit in with the $100 budget?

Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

I think $49 for a gigabit capable RAX35 would be way under budget 🙂 and a massive upgrade versus the WNR2000 or the R6120. 

Performance on both of those is pretty anemic but the RAX35 has some pretty solid speeds. Only downfall is its a 2x2 antenna device but has 160hz wide channels. Again, still way above the other devices. 

Message 14 of 17
MYnetGD49
Guide

Yes, can you see me smiling Michael??? 😁

Message 15 of 17
MYnetGD49
Guide

@plemansand @michaelkenward I want to thank you both for all your help. I did buy the Netgear RAX35 from Walmart as suggested and am extremely pleased. I had a little trouble getting it up and running. Instead of about 30 minutes it took me about 2 hours but all is well. Operator error on my part and impatience were to blame. With the new router I am getting 586 mbps (Spectrum advertised at 500mbps) measured with speed check from Spectrum and AT&T on my computer hard wired to router and also speed check on my cellphone with Nethawk using WiFi. Could not ask for more.

Message 16 of 17
plemans
Guru

Glad to see it up and working well for you!

Sounds like its a big step up in terms of speed/performance. 

Let us know if you have other issues with it. I'd probably check the AX forum first to see if anyone else has that issue. 

I'd also probably post on there for issues with the RAX as its an AX device. 🙂 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7