Buyer BEWARE

CKB_BKC
Follower

Buyer BEWARE

I purchased a new router to upgrade my existing. It did not automatically connect so I chatted with support and they said someone would give me a call. They called and we reviewed my situation. They opened some cmd windows and ran a tree and a few other basic cmds. Then they said my static IP address issued by the U.S. government had been compromised and would need to be cleaned and I needed to purchase a router firewall for ~200 bucks. This did not sound correct. During our conversation another technician had called-so I decided to give him a chance and see what he says. We spoke and he went through a very similar protocol. He then stopped and began the same presentation as the previous technician -they used notepad and wrote a few steps that would be involved in the cleaning of my IP and then the cost of the router firewall. The second technician went on to say we want to make sure you understand what you are purchasing and this is not a trick or a doop. Why would someone say tat unless it is!!!  I think what I experienced is a plan from netgear to have their technicians scare you into an additional purchase of something you may or may not need. One my calls I was told the router would not work because of the compromised IP (issued by the US government). #BS. I called my ISP and she said that sounded odd. She reset the signal and I reset the router. What do you know -it works!! They lie!!! I am still undecided if I will return the router for another vendor or not. I had a netgear router for the last decade and it gave good results, hence the reason for going back. What a sham

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: Buyer BEWARE

> [...] I chatted with support [...]

You may have chatted with someone.  Whether it was someone at Netgear
is a different question.  With my weak psychic powers, I have no idea
who it was, but Netgear support seems among the least likely suspects.

> [...] hey said my static IP address issued by the U.S. government had
> been compromised and would need to be cleaned and I needed to purchase a
> router firewall for ~200 bucks. This did not sound correct. [...]

You got that right.

> [...] They opened some cmd windows and ran a tree and a few other
> basic cmds. [...]

You apparently let some scam artist do unknown things to your Windows
system.  I'd run a good virus scan now.

It pays to determine with whom you're chatting before sending
pictures of your naked self.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Buyer BEWARE

If you googled netgear support for a phone number, you likely got a scam/con site as @antinode has said. 

The way to contact support is clicking mynetgear at the top, registering an account and then your device. From there you can contact support. 

You can return the router if you want but how is Netgear supposed to be responsible this? it wouldn't have mattered what manufacturer of router you had if you called a random support number. 

Current setup: CAX80->Trendnet TEG-S380->GS716T-> RBK752->pi-hole
1.4gig download/50mbps upload
We’re members of the public helping out on our own time.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E