× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bypassing my DNS

cuse165
Aspirant

Bypassing my DNS

I added a DNS that blocks adds when I am online I see every add there is so I tried another DNS same thing so the I tried opendns and same thing as the other two. My router is like bypassing my settings and not using any of my DNS. There is a page that tells you if you are connected to there DNS servers. One time it says I am and another time it says I am not. Anyone know anything or can help or know why my router is not using my settings and bypassing them?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
cuse165
Aspirant

Re: Bypassing my DNS

Well first I would like to thank you for your rude answers and how you put your answer was uncalled for. If you had nothing to say dont answer my question. Dont take my question and pick it apart and be a smart ass  Next time I need a smart ass answer I know who I can contact.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I added a DNS [...]

To what?  What is the resulting DNS configuration after you "added"
this (secret?) DNS server to whatever you had before (on whatever you
had it)?

> [...] My router is like bypassing my settings and not using any of my
> DNS.

Are you using some kind of computer/device?  What is its DNS
configuration?  Is your "My router" "like bypassing my settings", or is
your client device using something other than your "My router" for DNS?

What is your "My router"?  (Model, hardware version, firmware
version, ...?)

> [...] There is a page that tells you if you are connected to there DNS
> servers.

Which page, on what?

> [...] Anyone know anything [...]

From that problem description, I don't know much.  As usual, showing
actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.  An accurate, detailed report of actual events would be
much more interesting than your analysis/interpretation of the problem
("My router is like bypassing my settings", ...).

Message 2 of 6
cuse165
Aspirant

Well first I would like to thank you for your rude answers and how you put your answer was uncalled for. If you had nothing to say dont answer my question. Dont take my question and pick it apart and be a smart ass  Next time I need a smart ass answer I know who I can contact.

Message 3 of 6

@cuse165 wrote:

Well first I would like to thank you for your rude answers and how you put your answer was uncalled for.

Apologies for that. Most of the regulars here try to be helpful without being rude or to belittle people.

Did you fix your problem?

My approach to "ad spam" is to use a browser add-in that blocks ads.

Messing around with DNS servers is a bit too complicated and open to error for my liking. I don't recall anyone else using that approach, so I doubt if you will find much around here on that topic.

Message 4 of 6
cuse165
Aspirant

Well thank you I do apologize for what I said. I was just looking for info
Message 5 of 6

@cuse165 wrote:
Well thank you I do apologize for what I said. I was just looking for info

You have nothing to apologise for.

I hope I provided some info, rather than insults. Apologies, again, if my info it isn't what you want.

Like I said, your request is a bit out of the ordinary. The solution doesn't really depend on the hardware – all routers will have the same issues –  so you might like to cast the question into a wider community, where people talk more about ads and how to get rid of them.

If you do find an answer, it would be great if you came back with the answers you find.You never know when someone will turn up on a similar quest.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7