× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 Upstream light flashing

Skoot3r
Aspirant

C6300 Upstream light flashing

So I recently moved my modem upstairs which required me to rewire/reroute some coax cables. The first day it worked just fine, I moved it to my room for faster download speeds on my pc which is connected through Ethernet. Earlier today however it kept having issues and eventually the internet just completely turned off which eventually led to me moving it back downstairs where is works perfectly fine. I believe it’s a problem with the coax cables but I’m not positive. There’s one coax outlet that works which is what the modem is connected to now, but before when it was upstairs I had basically just run a line of coax cables from that outlet to upstairs, but it doesn’t work anymore.

TL;DR - modem has no internet connection, one working coax outlet. Modem works when directly connected to said coax outlet but not when connected to the outlet through a line of coax cables. Please help
Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: C6300 Upstream light flashing

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page when its hooked up for both locations? that lets us take a look at the signal. It wouldn't be the first time wiring within a home had issues. 

Message 2 of 11
Skoot3r
Aspirant

cable.JPGSo this is the screen snip for my cable connection screen when it is plugged in downstairs, however I can't even get a screen snip of the page when its upstairs because it claims my modem is offfline, so this screen doesn't show up in the first place.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

pictures can take several day to show. If you add them by click on the "choose file" option, we can ge them right away

Message 4 of 11
Skoot3r
Aspirant

my bad, new to all of this. I've never needed to come here until now

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

so in the location that it works, your powerlevels are a bit boarderline. The upstream shouldn't be much higher than what it is and the downstream should all be within 3.5dbmv of each other and you're right around that. adding distance to the line probably pushes you over  limit. 

Message 6 of 11
Skoot3r
Aspirant

So is there no way I can go about fixing this? Is there no work around even with the added distance? And in that case does that mean I'll just have to keep the distance short regardless? Because as I said earlier the modem worked fine the first day in the second location, but stopped working the day after.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

You're boarderline before you add the distance/extension. what you can try doing is check the line before that point. remove any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators, or extended runs. that might allow you to extend the run to a different location. You might also check the current connections for loose connections, damaged/old/cheap connections. 

Message 8 of 11
Skoot3r
Aspirant

Alright cool I'll try that. And if that doesn't work then what? It just has to stay there? Also so this isn't a question of my router at all then? As in my modem isn't the problem so getting a new one wouldn't help at all?

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

You can potentially check with your isp. they need to have a minimum signal entering the house. It should let you place it most anywhere in the home if you aren't splitting the signal (splitters) or attenuators. 

Setting up a direct run with no splitters, high quality cable and ends can help significantly. I've replaced the cheap ends on all mine and it helped signal greatly. 

Message 10 of 11
Skoot3r
Aspirant

So aside from contacting my ISP you say no splitters and just better quaility cables? I'm not using splitters however I was using 1 coax coupler because I simply dont have one cable that's long enough to go from the outlet all the way to my room upstairs. Aside from the coupler I'm not using any splitters or anything like that. I couldn't tell you how dated the cables are as one came with the house and the others came with the modem when we got it, but I did end up getting one new cable when I grabbed the coupler if that helps. It just irritates me how often I lag in games or how slow my internet and download speed is in general on my computer. This powerlink adapter puts such a cap on my internet speed it seems and obviously putting my modem up here only worked for a day.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7