× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300 WiFi Cable Modem Router Is Warm

JYK98
Tutor

C6300 WiFi Cable Modem Router Is Warm

I recently purchased this router.  Unlike my previous one - Arris - the top is quite warm to the touch no matter how many times I unplug and/or restart it.  Is this a known issue?  Checking to see if the product is faulty and needs to be replaced.  

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 6

@JYK98 wrote:

Checking to see if the product is faulty and needs to be replaced.  

Does it work?

All electronic devices get hot, depending on how much work they are doing.

@JYK98 wrote:

....no matter how many times I unplug and/or restart it. 

Keep doing that and you can increase the chances of breaking the thing.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

You find find another user there who can "thermometer" their modem/router.

Message 2 of 6
JYK98
Tutor

Thank you for the reply.  My previous one from Arris always stayed cool to touch.  So far, I am not impressed with Netgear.

Message 3 of 6

@JYK98 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  My previous one from Arris always stayed cool to touch.  So far, I am not impressed with Netgear.

Judging a router by the temperature it hits is a bit odd. What about its performance?

Did you buy a new router because you wanted something faster, more capable or otherwise superior?

Those advances depend on more powerful electronic chips that eat more juice and, hence, get hotter.

Have you ever owned a laptop? Feel the bottom. Uncomfortable?

Your older, and anonymous, Arris may have had 20th century chips and a performance that went with them. It may have had a fan built in. But, as I said, how does the performance of that device compare with your new router?

My R7800, around five years old, is also warm to the touch. But so is everything else I use. That's why people turn up here complaining that cats like to sit on top of their routers. (Strangely, they rarely worry about the temperature that tempts the cats.) They have been known to turn off the wifi in the process.

Message 4 of 6
JYK98
Tutor

Re: C6300 WiFi Cable Modem Router Is Warm to Hot

I had to switch as my older router modem is no longer supported by Comcast.  Everything I've read suggests that warm to hot router modem could indicate a problem.  As I've explained, I've never seen this happen with either Arris or the previous ones I had.  I'm trying to figure out if this is a known issue to the C6300 or I need to get it exchanged.  

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 5 of 6

Re: C6300 WiFi Cable Modem Router Is Warm to Hot

@JYK98 wrote:

Everything I've read suggests that warm to hot router modem could indicate a problem. 

We must read different things.

Perhaps you can tell us where you found this scary information.

"Warm" is expected, "too hot to touch" is not.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7