Highlighted

Can I add 'HOTSHOT SHIELD' 'Hide my location. to my N600

Hi All, I'm not sure if this is a really silly question, but I am an Ex Pat Brit living in Italy.

To be able to watch UK TV I use 'FILMON' which is really very good for general viewing, but I would like to stay in touch with the area and the news from where I came from in the UK.

There is another App on the market which does allow me to do this, but only if you are still in the UK, I do have 'HOTSPOT SHIELD' installed on the computer which works well, but the TV is in another room and is being run through an 'ANDROID TV BOX' via WIFI from my 'N600' picture and reception is fantastic, but this other APP will not run.

I am completely non techy, but I thought that if 'HOTSPOT SHIELD' was running from the source, I,E. the router and this was set to the UK then all will be well in my little world.

Is this possible, or is there an even better and more reliable way of acheiving my goal.

I hope you can help

Many thanks

Gerry

Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Can I add 'HOTSHOT SHIELD' 'Hide my location. to my N600

It is not possible to run Hotspot Shield on the router.

Because you described yourself as non techy, the following might be beyond your ability. There is 3rd party firmware called DD-WRT that has built-in VPN support. If it's available for your specific router, then you could install it and connect to a VPN provider based in the UK. Your entire home network would, then, appear to be based in the UK.

Unfortunately, working with DD-WRT can be very daunting. Documentation is very poor, the UI is complex, and the risk of bricking your router by improper installation of the firmware a very real possibility.

If you are willing to make the effort, then head over to dd-wrt.com. The forums are really the best place to start learning. They have a wiki but it's a mishmash of obsolete and current and, therefore, contradictory information that will leave your head spinning. But if you can get past all that and install the firmware, the experience will be rewarding.
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted

Hi TheEther,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated.

I did have a look at your suggested site and have actually contacted them, sadly however they do not have a fix/app for this model N600, so any other suggestions or help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks again.

Gerry

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Guru

You don't mention what kind of Android TV box you have. In any case, if you can jailbreak it, then you can try installing OpenVPN.

Other than that, maybe it's time to upgrade your router to a newer model.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted

Hi,

I thank you again for your suggestion.  Re my NETGEAR N600, I actually only bought this last week and presumed, or was told that it was the latest up to date model.  Ho-Hum.

My ANDROID TV box is again only three months old and comes complete with just about every APP you can think of, or ever 'NOT REALLY NEED'.  Including a web browser, g-mail, SKYPE and the ability to download and add new apps.

I have not thought about adding the VPN to this box, my only thought since you have suggested it is that the box is not the source of the signal, the modem is, so will it still work, as I mentioned at the beginning, I am so NON TECHY.

Thanks again for trying really hard to help I really appreciate it.

Best wishes

Gerry

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements