× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I control IP addresses by MAC address?

HenryStock
Aspirant

Can I control IP addresses by MAC address?

A previous router that I owned gave me the capability to assign a specific IP address to a specific MAC address so that I could still use DHCP and control the IP addresses of specific devices at the same time.

Right now I am having a conflict between two devices, my computer's Ethernet connection and my wife's IPAD wireless connection.  Both have the same IP address so that one is connected to the network, the other has issues.

My computer runs Windows 10 and I have tried the ipconfig /release  and ipconfig /renew  commands.  But, I have been trying to release the specific connection.  I haven't figured out what I am doing wrong.  The problem seems to be that it has a "preferred address" that it doesn't seem to want to give up, 192.168.1.27, which is the same as my wife's wireless IPAD device.

I also have a wireless connection from this computer, but I was hoping to take advantage of both.  I was hoping that I could control the issued IP address by the network card's MAC address.  This is what I could do with my previous router.

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Can I control IP addresses by MAC address?

Use DHCP reservations.  It provides the functionality you are looking for.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Prefered address? I don't think there is such a thing. Log off the device you wat to give a fixed address then after address is assigned

Message 2 of 5
TheEther
Guru

@HenryStock wrote:

A previous router that I owned gave me the capability to assign a specific IP address to a specific MAC address so that I could still use DHCP and control the IP addresses of specific devices at the same time.

Netgear calls them DHCP Reservations.  You can set them up in the Advanced LAN Setup screen on the router.

Right now I am having a conflict between two devices, my computer's Ethernet connection and my wife's IPAD wireless connection.  Both have the same IP address so that one is connected to the network, the other has issues.

My computer runs Windows 10 and I have tried the ipconfig /release  and ipconfig /renew  commands.  But, I have been trying to release the specific connection.  I haven't figured out what I am doing wrong.  The problem seems to be that it has a "preferred address" that it doesn't seem to want to give up, 192.168.1.27, which is the same as my wife's wireless IPAD device.

Do you, perhaps, have your computer set up with a manually configured IP address?

I also have a wireless connection from this computer, but I was hoping to take advantage of both.  

While this is possible Windows doesn't really do a good job of it.  Why do you want to do this?  Ethernet is much faster than Wi-Fi.

Message 3 of 5
HenryStock
Aspirant

I sometimes move around.  The ethernet connection is only at my desk.  If I move up to the family room I have to disconnect from the ethernet and use wifi.  I could turn wifi on and off, but I don't really want to do so.

I understand that MAC addresses are unique, so theoretically it should be possible, if the router has the command software, to assign specific IP addresses to specific MAC addresses via DHCP.  I used to use that to separate my printers from other devices.

Message 4 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Use DHCP reservations.  It provides the functionality you are looking for.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7