× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I update firmware via webpage file upload from MacBook using WIFI instead of hardwired cable?

Elle01
Tutor

Can I update firmware via webpage file upload from MacBook using WIFI instead of hardwired cable?

Hiya,

Thanks to help here I've finally figured out how to upload a frimware update file that was refusing to do it's thing quoting Unknown Error 1 .. Despite the fact I am now able to do steps 2 - 7 of the 'How do I manually update the firmware on my router' help article ,

https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do-I-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router-with-a-web-browser# )

I'm falling at the first hurdle.

Step 1... Connect your computer to your router with an Ethernet cable.

I don't have an RJ45 port on my macbook and my adaptor is broken (never worked properly to begin with, connection constantly dropped in and out) 

QUESTION - Is it possible (safe/reliable/won't brick the router) to do this firmware file upload and update using a WIFI only connection between router and laptop??? The article makes no mention of this.

Many thanks in advance.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Elle01
Tutor

Re: Can I update firmware via webpage file upload from MacBook using WIFI instead of hardwired cable

Update.. 

I started this question as a new topic thread - someone kindly answered it as part of a different question I posted. I can't see how to delete the above post so I will post the answer here incase it helps anyone else too...

"You can do it over wifi. 

We recommend over wired because its a solid connection without interference. 

But wifi does work."

Thank you to 'Superuser' 'Plemans' for the answer. Smiley Happy 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Elle01
Tutor

Re: Can I update firmware via webpage file upload from MacBook using WIFI instead of hardwired cable

Update.. 

I started this question as a new topic thread - someone kindly answered it as part of a different question I posted. I can't see how to delete the above post so I will post the answer here incase it helps anyone else too...

"You can do it over wifi. 

We recommend over wired because its a solid connection without interference. 

But wifi does work."

Thank you to 'Superuser' 'Plemans' for the answer. Smiley Happy 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7