× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can N900 Router Be Used To Extend A Wireless Network Model: WNDR4500v2

vitodim
Aspirant

Can N900 Router Be Used To Extend A Wireless Network Model: WNDR4500v2

I have multiple N900 routers. Can I have one connected to the internet and just use the other one to extend the wi-fi range of the network?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

You can extend the Wi-Fi range of the network by connecting an N900 router to the WNDR4500v2 via Ethernet or Powerline.  If your N900 has an AP Mode setting in the configuration, then use that and follow the instructions in the manual for wiring it up (some models require you to use the Internet port).  Then set up the Wi-Fi.  Make sure to use a different channel.  The SSID can be the same or different than your main router.  The choice is up to you and each has different pros and cons.  

If your model doesn't have an AP Mode setting, then set up the Wi-Fi as above, disable the DHCP server, and wire it up (you may have to use a LAN port instead of the Internet port).

If you want to extend Wi-Fi wirelessly, then Netgear routers are very poor at doing that.  I wouldn't recommend it.  Get a range extender or, if your N900 supports it, load 3rd party firmware, which has better support for wireless repeating.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

You can extend the Wi-Fi range of the network by connecting an N900 router to the WNDR4500v2 via Ethernet or Powerline.  If your N900 has an AP Mode setting in the configuration, then use that and follow the instructions in the manual for wiring it up (some models require you to use the Internet port).  Then set up the Wi-Fi.  Make sure to use a different channel.  The SSID can be the same or different than your main router.  The choice is up to you and each has different pros and cons.  

If your model doesn't have an AP Mode setting, then set up the Wi-Fi as above, disable the DHCP server, and wire it up (you may have to use a LAN port instead of the Internet port).

If you want to extend Wi-Fi wirelessly, then Netgear routers are very poor at doing that.  I wouldn't recommend it.  Get a range extender or, if your N900 supports it, load 3rd party firmware, which has better support for wireless repeating.

Message 2 of 4
vitodim
Aspirant

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate it. I do need to extend the network wirelessly. Is there a particular range extender you would recommend? Can I use multiple range extenders to extend the same network?

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

You can find Netgear's range extenders here (link).  AFAICT, Netgear doesn't have a N900-class model that would match the wireless capabilities of your WNDR4500v2.  I see some other brands have N900 range extenders.  Netgear has a N600-class extender, the WN3500RP.  You can probably get up to 50 Mbps out of it at 5 GHz.  Or you could step up to one of the AC1200-class range extenders and, maybe, get 75 Mbps when paired to your WNDR4500v2.  YMMV.

You should be able to use multiple extenders but do not wirelessly daisy chain them together.  Instead, each extender should independently connect to the main router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7