Can No Longer connect my Windows 8.1 Laptop to the Storage Device in my N600 Router

KitKimes
Luminary

Can No Longer connect my Windows 8.1 Laptop to the Storage Device in my N600 Router

For a couple of years I was able to connect my Win8.1 laptop to my N600 routers USB device (a 128Gb thumbdrive) using readyshare.  It always connected as U:\\Readyshare\USB_Storage.  Then last fall sometime I got an update that was supposed to remove a security issue with connections to SMB1 devices.  It assured me that most devices would still work fine.

Not every time I reboot my laptop I get the message that it can't reconnect to my USB_Storage device.  My question is, is the N600 Router only a SMB1 device?  I'm looking for a workaround or maybe I could remove the security fix I put in.  Trouble is I have no idea which update it was and searching MS website didn't help me.  I've lived without this connection because I'm sure I'll replace the router with a newer, faster one that is SMB2 compliant soon, but I'm still happy with it except for this problem.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Model: WNDR3400v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Can No Longer connect my Windows 8.1 Laptop to the Storage Device in my N600 Router

Try a forum search on SMB1 and find a lot of stuff. This for example:

Solved: Problem with NET VIEW, W10, R7000, most recent fir... - NETGEAR Communities

That is one of many on the same theme.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E