Can a PC virus kill the router?

Gamerear15
Aspirant

Can a PC virus kill the router?

Can a dos attack or some computer infection like a virus or Trojan cause a router to be partially fried and if so how long would it take for it to do so?
Message 1 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Router Question

DoS attach will flood the router and may lock up but not virus
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 9
Gamerear15
Aspirant

Re: Can a PC virus kill the router?

So does that mean if I had a virus or Trojan on my computer and I was getting dos attacks, none of that should cause it to be partially fried?

Why I ask is because back in November my computer got some sort of virus that installed the conduit toolbar and was dos attacking my router. Since then my router loss a little bit of signal range and speed and every 2 -3 weeks it stops broadcasting and needs restarted. I have tried everything from hard resets to flashing the firmware and nothing helped. I have it set up the same way I did before the virus so its not like settings were changed. I even tried factory settings.
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you ever consider the router is just failing from normal use? Sounds like a coincidence that it started when your PC got the clap.
Message 4 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

So does that mean if I had a virus or Trojan on my computer and I was getting dos attacks, none of that should cause it to be partially fried?

Virus can flood the router but not fried the router
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 9
Compcrasher
Aspirant

From what I've learned , being dosd is mostly just a headache, I've heard conversations that made me start learning this stuff so I could protect myself better.
Message 6 of 9
jlewter
Guide

General Answer...
NO..

Given what you have said..
Highly Unlikely.

It is possible for some virii to spread through embedded hardware (Routers, DVRs, other "hardware" based networked stuff) but it is unlikely for this to be related.

It is worth going through the router to look for settings (Such as port forwarding, dns changes, and that sort of thing). If your not real sure what to look for then resetting it and setting it back up as new might be an option.

I think the wife installed a conduit variant (I removed her admin privileges as a result) and IIRC it was slightly difficult to get rid of. I think it makes a few browser setting changes that are typically not undone by AV / Malware removers. That's if it was Conduit... I have removed it several times from peoples computers but cant remember if that's what she had...
Message 7 of 9
Gamerear15
Aspirant

I decided I might just buy a new router but I don't know what one to get. What is the best router for $100 or less that has the least problems and has good security? I would get another wndr3700 n600 but im guessing all stores carry now are the v4 and that one has way to many issues.
Message 8 of 9
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You should not need to buy a new router for DoS attack
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 9