Can anyone help me set up my R4500 as a sub to my Centurylink dsl modem/router?

SSG-NG
Aspirant

Can anyone help me set up my R4500 as a sub to my Centurylink dsl modem/router?

I'd like to set up my R4500 as a sub to my Centuryling dsl modem/router so I connect my printer and seagate backup device using the USB connections on the R4500.  The goal is to have a wireless network on which I can print and do continuous backups.

Message 1 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Can anyone help me set up my R4500 as a sub to my Centurylink dsl modem/router?

Hello SSG-Ng

All you would need to do is find the bridge mode on your CenturyLink dsl modem turn that on and then connect it to the WAN port of your R4500. You may have to contact centurylink on how to bridge there modem. hope to hear your feedback

DarrenM

Message 2 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

Re: Can anyone help me set up my R4500 as a sub to my Centurylink dsl modem/router?

Thanks Darren. BTW, you are dealing with a novice here.  I contacted Centurylink.  They told me I couldn't connect two routers because they would compete fo an IP address.  I told them that I thought making the Netgear a sub to their modem would avoid that.  They wouldn't make any promises and basically said they didn't support what I was trying to do.  However thy did give me the following url to get to bridge mode:

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-pk5001z-adv-bridging-ctl.html

After looking at it, I'm a bit nervous about using it.  I don't want to screw up my internet connection.

Message 3 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

well the other option you can do is turn the R4500 into a access point which may be the better solution here is a article to do that. your DSL modem/router will still do all of the routing and you can use the usb functions, ethernet, and the wifi from the R4500. Let me know if you need any help or questions

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20927

DarrenM

Message 4 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

If I just check the box to Enable AP Mode and then click Apply, it looks like I’ll lose contact with the router. That doesn’t seem optimal. It seems like in the “Note,” they are definitely suggesting that the IP address be reset if you ever wanted to “further configure the AP.” In looking at my DNS router, the DHCP range is 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254 and the Subnet is 255.255.255.0. Can you offer suggestions as to what entries should be made to the IP Address, IP Subnet Mask and Gateway?

Message 5 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes to access the router once you make it a AP you will want to type in www.routerlogin.com this should get you back to the routers GUI.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

Thanks again; but, you didn't exactly give me what I was looking for.  If i don't manually insert new IP addr, subnet mask and gateway, are you saying i can get back to it again via www.routerlogin.com ?

Without making the change to an AP, I used the link and all i get is a Centurylink search page with "www.routerlogin.com"  defaulted into the search field.

Wouldn't it be easier to just manually change the IP addr, subnet mask and gateway? If so,

Message 7 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Sorry about that yea you can set a static Ip to the AP I would suggest something higher like 192.168.0.100 and the subnet would be what you have then the default gateway would be 192.168.0.1 so after you set the ip address you should be able to access the AP with 192.168.0.100.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

Tried entering these and got numerous  messages. I can tell you what some of them were, but I doubt it will be helpful.  Basically none worked.  So, I just checked the Enable AP and left the other boxes checked so that IP address would be assigned automatically. After clicking apply, I lost contact with the router. I connected the Netgear R4500 router (now an AP?) to the Centurylink PK5001z modem. Then I plugged my Cannon Pixma MP470 printer into the usb port on the Netgeat R4500.  I rebooted the computer and tried to send a test job from MS Word.  Result: printer is offline.  Looks like I've wasted a lot of my time and yours.  I'm getting nowhere!

I found the following information somewhat helpful and it seemed pretty close to what I'm trying to accomplish:

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556

However, I'm not working with a DD-WRT interface.  I'm using the Netgear GUI, which by the way is different from their Genie.  Is it any wonder how this gets frustrating.

I guess this stuff is just too much for a layman.

Message 9 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello SSG-NG

Im sorry this has been frustrating for you and you haven't wasted my time Im here to help. So I went back to the article that you had linked me and I see the modem you have has a Default gateway of 192.168.0.1 so now that you assigned your R4500 to be a access point it should of got a ip from the modem so it might be a little of trial and error to bring the GUI of the netgear back up. what you will want to try is to enter 192.168.0.2 into your browser and keep going up from there until you fine the Netgear login pop up. For example the next one you would do is 192.168.0.3 and then 192.168.0.4 and so on keep bumping up that last number it should be somewhere between 2-20 it just depends how many things you have connected to your wireless. let me know if this worked or not

DarrenM

Message 10 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

W/o changing any cables, I tried what you suggested starting with .2, .3, .4 etc.  up to 9. "This page can't be displayed" is all I get.

I've only got 4 pieces of hardwareb here, my lap top, my PK5001z Centuryling modem/router, the Netgear R4500 and the Printer MP470.  So going to hihger and higher numbers on the way to 22 didn't see worthwhile.  If that's wrong and I should keep going, please say so

Should I be disconnecting the cable, currently connecting the PK5001Z to the Netgear R4500, from the PK5001Z and pluging it into my Laptop in order to try to reconnect to the R4500?

Message 11 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yea I wouldn't say going past 22 is going to do anything. and yea to reconnect to the R4500 I would disconnect it from the PK5001z and if that don't work factory reset the R4500. You may want to factory reset and then plug it back into your modem and go threw the genie prompt It should ask you if there is another router on the network and then configure the R4500 to be a access point.  Also have you asked if CenturyLink has just a DSL modem that dosnt have a built in router since you have a router?

DarrenM

Message 12 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

Per http://www.zyxel.com/us/en/multimedia/multimedia_20120627_821515.shtml

the PK5001z can be set to modem mode only.

If I do that. What's next?

Message 13 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Ok if it can be all you would need to do is connect a port from the modem to the WAN port on the R4500 and then plug your wired devices into the R4500 from there you can set the modem up by going to 192.168.1.1 or www.myrouterlogin.com

DarrenM

Message 14 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

I assume you meant to say "set the router (the R4500) up by going to 192.168.1.1" etc., etc.  Please confirm

Message 15 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

that is correct

Message 16 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

Well, I've tried to reset the netgear router and I can't connect to it with http://192.168.1.1 and www.myrouterlogin.com takes me to some website that provides all sorts of links to other places..

Message 17 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Make sure you hold a pen or paper clip in the reset button for 10 sec so it does a factory reset then try 192.168.1.1 or www.routerlogin.com.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

After many attempts, I was finally able to reset the R4500 and can get back to the settings page.  Now, having unchecked the “Get IP Address Dynamically” box (which also unchecks the “Get DNS Server Address Dynamically” box), what I need to do is to fill in the following on the NETGEAR genie Wireless Settings page:

IP Address

IP Subnet Mask

Gateway IP

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

When I attempted to fill these in previously, I got three or four messages that gave me the impression I was doing something wrong. So, I gave up and just went with the set as access point and let the IP address and DNS server addresses be selected dynamically. Obviously that didn’t work and I lost contact with the R4500. I’m back to where I was in message 5 and looking for suggestions as to how to satisfy the genie.

Message 19 of 21
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you have your modem bridged now you should then just leave your R4500 with the get IP address dynamically then you should be able to use the R4500 as a normal router and set up the Readyshare features.

DarrenM

Message 20 of 21
SSG-NG
Aspirant

Gave up and called Netgear.  After uploading latest firmware.  Still no connection.  They told me the hardware was bad.  Sorry I wasted your time.  I do thatk you for trying to help.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E