Can i get a simple answer??

MikeONYC
Follower

Can i get a simple answer??

I now have $1000 worth of Netgear products, and no solution. All I want to do is set up a network that goes from a cable modem to an ethernet switch. From that switch, I want to connect to 3 wireless access points and a wireless router. That router will service one wired computer and one wireless access point.

I have been at this for three months! Occasionally, it all works for about ten minutes, then fails. Calling support is maddening and useless.

I have tried three new routers and a new switch. It seems impossible to get netgear networking products to work in series.

Can ANYONE ANSWER my simple question: How can I get a switch and a router to work in series???
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Can i get a simple answer??

you can not install switch after the cable modem in your setup

cable modem<---> wireless router<-->switch, access point
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
tului
Novice

Cable modems are almost always set up to serve either one router/AP or one or more PCs. If the modem is serving a router it'll generally pass through data and the router will have the IP address that the rest of the world sees. That router can then use NAT and DHCP to assign addresses and provide internet access to any device connected on the LAN side of it. If the cable modem serves PCs, be it one or many, it is the then the router. It'll usually serve DHCP and provide NAT functionality.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the way you described it. As I read your description you want(in order of coming from the cable connection):
cable modem
switch
from this switch 4 devices, which are:
3 wireless APs
1 wireless router
from this wireless router you will have 2 more devices:
1 PC
1 wireless access point

You can get all of that equipment to work, I've got a DGND3300v2, WNDR4000 working in series. A lot of it depends on exactly what you're trying to do. Try to explain in more depth and I'll see what I can do to help.
I am in no way affiliated with Netgear other than as a consumer. Anything I advise may break your router and void your warranty.
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Most cable modem is just a dummy modem so you can not place behind the modem unless user has muliple public ip
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation