× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can only access router through IE

micselafey
Aspirant

Can only access router through IE

How come I can only access routerlogin.net from internet explorer? I cannot access it through any other browser. If Big Daddy MS is phasing out IE then eventually I won't be able to access my router I assume.

Hope someone can offer a solution.

Thanks, Mike

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] I cannot access it through any other browser. [...]

Which browsers does "any other browser" include?

"cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

Have you tried using the LAN IP address of the router, instead of
"routerlogin.net"  Or, for a cable-TV-type gizmo, "192.168.100.1"?

Which kind of "not working" is this?  Actual error message?

One possibility with modern browsers is the use of DNS-over HTTPS.
See, for example:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-dns-over-https

Some individuals and organizations rely on DNS to block malware,
      enable parental controls, or filter your browser's access to
      websites. When enabled, DoH bypasses your local DNS resolver and
      defeats these special policies.

Message 2 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

Sorry for the lack of info. Not an IT person so a simple solution is needed. I can only access through IE and I've tried Chrome, Edge & Firefox. Same message (or similar) on each on: 

"This page isn’t working

routerlogin.net sent an invalid response."

But no problems at all through IE.

Thanks, Mike

Message 3 of 15

@micselafey wrote:

"This page isn’t working

routerlogin.net sent an invalid response."

That still works here. But browser makers are working hard to make their software "more secure", which can put obstacles in the way of users.

The solution is with the browse rather than the router. There may be something you can tweak in the browser.

One way around this is to track down the local IP address of your router. Unless something is abnormal this is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 

Put that into your browsers and see what you get.

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. 192.168.0.1 works only on IE for some reason and get "This page isn't working" on Chrome & Edge. Not a big deal right now until MS phases out IE, but not sure what to do then.

Any other fixes?
Thanks, Mike

Message 5 of 15

@micselafey wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. 192.168.0.1 works only on IE for some reason and get "This page isn't working" on Chrome & Edge. Not a big deal right now until MS phases out IE, but not sure what to do then.

Any other fixes?

I have never seen a "This page isn't working" message, usually something more cryptic. And I don't see Chrome and Edge throwing the same messages. Perhaps there is a more diagnostic prompt in there somewhere.

Try the security settings on whatever it is that you run the browser on. I use Chrome, Firefox and different flavours of Edge. They all work.

It almost certainly isn't the modem/router that does this to you, so this may not be the best place to fix problems with whatever gets in your way.

Message 6 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I've done numerous online searches for a solution and nothing has worked yet. Being I am not a guru is probably part of the problem for sure. This won't be a show stopper until MS stops supporting IE then I'll have no way of accessing the router. Hopefully that won't be for a few more years at least.

Message 7 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

Hello again,

I got a new computer and I still cannot access my router on Chrome or Edge. I WAS able to access it on IE with my old computer but now I can only login to the router on IE and the spinner continues forever so NOW I can't even view my router never mind try and change any settings. 

You all have tried to solve this very wierd problem but I may have no choice but to waste $90. and call NetGear support. 

Please help!!!

See attachment.

Thanks, Mike

Model: DGND3700v2|N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Message 8 of 15

So, you get this message: ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE

Have you tried that search out in the world? There are plenty where that came from.

err_invalid_http_response - Google Search

Here are some local sightings:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE

That is why it is important to have the full details of the browser's response.

@micselafey wrote:

You all have tried to solve this very wierd problem but I may have no choice but to waste $90. and call NetGear support. 

We still don't know if this has anything to do with your modem/router, so that may be money down the drain.

By the way, when you started this discussion you said you had a C6300, a cable modem/router. This has suddenly morphed into a DGND3700v2, which is a completely different animal, an ageing ADSL modem/router. Which is it?

Message 9 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

Here's a view of my manual which shows DGND...but my router shows C6300. I am not an IT professional like you, so forgive my ignorance!

Message 10 of 15

@micselafey wrote:

Here's a view of my manual which shows DGND...but my router shows C6300.

What does the label on the device show?

model number

Message 11 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

C6300/AC1750. It's only 2 years old so hopefully not the device. Last able to access via Chrome was June last year. Not sure about other browsers prior to that because I didn't have any problems previously.

Thanks, Mike

Message 12 of 15
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi micselafey,

Good day!

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

First of all, we do apologize for the inconvenience of not getting back to you immediately due to the backlog in the system. Have you tried accessing the C6300 page using other devices maybe? Have you tried https://routerlogin.net? Can you provide us the version of your web browsers so we can check at it and see if we are having similar issues? 

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver
Community Team

Message 13 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@olympos1625 Oliver, this is caused by several <null> characters in the HTTP header placed by the router Web server. Newer/modern browers refuse to continue on errors or invalid information - IE11 does not care about the null's. Check the links referred above - and bang on some Netgear tables for not fixing this man year old bug....

Message 14 of 15
micselafey
Aspirant

I was actually able to once again access the router via IE, but who knows if I'll have problems in the future.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Mike

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7