× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't access router login page

WalterOney
Aspirant

Can't access router login page

I can no longer access the login page for my R6100 router. I did a factory reset and verified that I can connect to the WiFi network using the default credentials. I can even access the Internet, which is weird because of my topology: laptop wifi -- R6100 -- LinkSys SE2800 [hard wired] router -- Win10 desktop via net card 1 -- net card 2 -- cable modem -- the world. The Win10 desktop is being accessed as 192.168.0.1 and is using Internet Connection Sharing to forward traffic to the cable modem. The routerlogin.com/.net path is evidently going out to the internet because a I get a web page telling me I'm not connected to my wireless router. So the router is not seeing the magic "routerlogin.net" or "routerlogin.com" URLs -- even though it is forwarding my traffic on to the SE2800.

I have also tried to access the R6100 login page from the Win10 desktop, both using the hardwired connection and the built-in WiFi card.

I've tried using 192.168.1.1, routerlogin.com/.net, and other IP addresses. I've tried hard wiring the laptop to the R6100 with a standard (not a crossover) cable. I've used both Edge and IE.

I'm not averse to just buying a new WiFi router if that's the only way to make progress. I'm unwilling to stop using my desktop as an ICS bridge because I don't want my other devices exposed on the internet.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @WalterOney,

1. Please hard wire a device straight to the R6100 and check the IP address of the router.

2. Is the modem a stand alone modem and not a modem-router/gateway?

3. I believe the Linksys SE2800 is a Gigabit switch and not a router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @WalterOney,

1. Please hard wire a device straight to the R6100 and check the IP address of the router.

2. Is the modem a stand alone modem and not a modem-router/gateway?

3. I believe the Linksys SE2800 is a Gigabit switch and not a router.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
WalterOney
Aspirant

1. Wiring a laptop directly to the R6100 gave me different results this time -- after a pretty long delay, the Netgear Genie came up and allowed me to manually reconfigure my router from a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.10. At that point, however, I was no longer able to access Genie from any of my computers using either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.10. Routerlogin, of course, went to the Internet and gave me the "you are not connected" screen.

2. Standalone modem.

3. I guess I don't understand the difference between a router and a switch.

In any case, I should be able to access Genie with a direct connection in the future, right?

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Why aren't you connecting the router's internet port directly to the cable modem?  Then connect a LAN port of the router to your Linksys switch.

Message 4 of 7
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @WalterOney,

As suggested by StephenB, it is best to connect the modem straight to the WAN/Internet port of the router then connect the switch to one of the LAN ports on the router. Also, with this setup, I believe there is no need for you to modify the LAN IP of the router since there won't be any conflict since you are using a stand alone modem.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 5 of 7
WalterOney
Aspirant

I already explained that, I think.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@WalterOney wrote:

I already explained that, I think.

If you did, I didn't understand it.  I see the topology you are using, but have no idea why you want or need that topology.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7