Highlighted
Aspirant

Can't config router over 54Mbps...

I have an WNDR3700 dual band wireless router. I've had it for a few months, but only recently found that I have not been getting wireless N speeds (150Mbps or 300 Mbps) from it.

When I logon to the router and go to the "wireless" configuration page, there are combo boxes (drop downs) to configure the maximum speans for the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz radios. In the doc, it says that I should be able to configure either of these for 54, 150 or 300 Mbps, but I my router I only have the option to configure tham for 54 Mbps (that is the only option in the drop list).

Anyone have any idea why this might occur, and what I could do to resolve it???
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Can't config router over 54Mbps...

Is it possible that you are using WEP security? If so this will limit your selectable speed to 54Mbps.

If your PC/client devices can support it, try using WPA2-PSK[AES]. This not only provides you with the highest and best level of security, but should also allow you to set the higher speeds (ie. 150 or 300Mbps). Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am using WPA-APK security, not WEP.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Ahhhhh... found the problem. WPA only supported 54 Mbps. Had to switch to WPA2.

Wish the Netgear support people could have just said that. Smiley Sad Would have saved me a lot of time.
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Apprentice

You're welcome! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Virtuoso

The restriction applies to WEP and TKIP, so WPA (TKIP) will also result in the rate reduction.
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Has anyone configured their 2.4 ghz network to use 802.11n and then configure the guest network using wep or wpa? I've noticed that this router does not distinguish between the networks and their speeds on the same frequency. If the guest network is setup using wep or wpa (which can only run up to 54mb), then it also limits your wpa2 network speed to 54mb as well. Is this router meant to do this or a bug?
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Did you enable WMM under QOS?
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation