× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't connect cellphone to the router

zps77
Aspirant

Can't connect cellphone to the router

Phone OS: Android 5.1.1

PC OS: Windows 10

ISP: Time Warner Cable
Internet Type: Cable

Netgear Genie WNDR3400v2

Router Firmware Version: V1.0.0.52_1.0.81

Ever since I downloaded the firmware update, I haven't been able to connect my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone to my router. I normally use the Access Control so I would input the device name and MAC address to connect but I've been unsuccessful this time. I've tried other approaches such as turning off the Access Control and trying to connect via WPS button and PIN but still no connection. There hasn't been any issues with my previously connected devices (ie. laptops, Samsung S5 Sport, etc) just my new phone. I'm able to connect to other wireless APs but not my own.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Re: Can't connect cellphone to the router

@zps77 wrote:

I reset my router right after the firmware upgrade.  Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue.  I was wondering how do you go about reverting to the previous firmware.

By reset, did you just simply power cycle the router? When we talk about reset here, we mean a hard reset back to factory defaults. In the web GUI, it might be called "erase" or "erase to factory settings". Then you must manually re-configure (enter all your setup information). It is not recommended to use a saved backup of the config.

There have been too many times where previous settings are not fully compatible across FW versions, leading to instability.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

reset to default and try connecting using default setttings
Message 2 of 8
wcalifas831
Prodigy

After upgrading firmware it is good to reset the router after an upgrade. See if that helps. If not you could always try reverting back to a previous firmware.
Message 3 of 8
zps77
Aspirant

I will try that. Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
zps77
Aspirant

I reset my router right after the firmware upgrade.  Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue.  I was wondering how do you go about reverting to the previous firmware.

Message 5 of 8
zps77
Aspirant

Message 6 of 8
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Go to the netgear site and look for the firmware listed for your router and try to revert by manually updating with the older firmware. If that doesn't work you can always use the tftp method (similar way to unbricking router) to load up older firmware.

Message 7 of 8
rpoffen
Virtuoso

@zps77 wrote:

By reset, did you just simply power cycle the router? When we talk about reset here, we mean a hard reset back to factory defaults. In the web GUI, it might be called "erase" or "erase to factory settings". Then you must manually re-configure (enter all your setup information). It is not recommended to use a saved backup of the config.

There have been too many times where previous settings are not fully compatible across FW versions, leading to instability.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7