Can't connect iPad3 to WNDR3700v1

wiko
Novice

Can't connect iPad3 to WNDR3700v1

Thanks Andy and Devor for your answers under “WNDR3700 Encryption and link rates after firmware upgrade” – Had to go on an unplanned trip, thus only saw your answers today. Also created a more appropriate new thread.

Still stack with the problem. iPad reply is "Unable to join the network x" where x is either my 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID. Info on the Router Log - shows my tries as: "[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address x (where x is the iPad's MAC address)" If entering another password (e.g. Passphrase) it states "Incorrect Password for x". That tells me that the router certainly communicates the results to the iPad. I tried my 63 digit passphrase 3 times - very, very carefully - having each time before reset the network setting on the iPad back to factory setting.

By the way, I had no problems yesterday to connect under WiFi at my Car Dealer who has set up a public access point using the password they gave me. So it has to be my router security setup with prevents access, but Apple documents suggest using WPA2-AES . Also see my comments to Andy.

@Andy re: “Well without reading back through the tread (because I’m at work) do you have the router wireless access list enabled? If so try disabling it. Also try temporarily disabling wireless encryption to see if you can get a connection (re-enable afterwards), then try different encryption methods:

Any other suggestions? I created a document, in case I have to totally reset the router and start fresh as the next try. Would I do that under Backup Settings "Revert to factory default settings" by pressing the Erase button or do something physically at the router (believe I read something in the manual - but that may also reset the firmware????- presently operate under 1.0.7.98 which appears to be the latest)

Sorry to be such a pest and long-winded. But at 78 it's getting more difficult to learn. LOL
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Can't connect iPad3 to WNDR3700v1

Any other suggestions? I created a document, in case I have to totally reset the router and start fresh as the next try. Would I do that under Backup Settings "Revert to factory default settings" by pressing the Erase button or do something physically at the router (believe I read something in the manual - but that may also reset the firmware????- presently operate under 1.0.7.98 which appears to be the latest)

see router reset on my sig below that does same functions
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
wiko
Novice

Replying on this from my iPad3
Hopes this helps others.
Created a rather uncommon longer SSID under Guest (5 Mhz)
Clicked Enable Guest network
Did NOT click SSID Broadcast
Cllicked Enable Video Network
Selected WPA2-PSK [AES]
Createdd a rather uncommon Passphrase - differenct from my normal Wireless Settings
On the iPad I selected under Wirelless "Other" and manually typed in my Guest SSID, selected as Security the AES onee and then entered as the Password my Passphrase. Receeived on other forums and via phone support the INCORRECT guidence to use the Router Passsword !!!!! That is WRONG. It's the passphrase whiich needs to be used as password.!!!!

Had too giive thiis a few tries for whatever reason and each time cleared the iiPad Nettwork setting. Eventuallly it worked - forgot wheether or nott I had to double-click JOIN. Anyway I managed to get in and now my iPad3 automatically connects to my network.
May click on Alow guest to accesss My Loocal Network so that I can print, etc.
Can always set up the 2.4 guest network for other potential guests if needed, keeping the 5 just for my iPad..
Message 3 of 4
wiko
Novice

Sorry for all the typos, am not that good yet typing on the iPad. LOL.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E