Highlighted
Aspirant

Can't connect new computer to WNDR4500 via WiFi

I recently obtained a new MacPro and cannot get it to connect to WNDR4500 via WiFi. Can connect fine hardwired, and it can connect to other wireless networks. But not to the WNDR4500 WiFi. It sees the WiFi, but will not authenticate.

I do not have Access Control enabled. I am entering the correct WiFi password (double-checked many times). I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] Security option (required because it is the only type supported by some other devices on the network).

When I try to connect, the WNDR4500 log says simply "WLAN access denied", and the log on the MacPro side says "Auth result for [mac addr] Not Authenticated".

A long time ago I used to have the "Wireless Card Access List" set up, but when a firmware upgrade a long time ago eliminated that feature, I never added the new "Access Control" feature. I almost wonder if some vestige of the old access list is somewhere, but if it is I can't find it.

I'm tearing my hair out here, I can't figure out why this new computer can't connect to the WiFi, even though I am entering the correct WiFi passphrase (a long string of hex digits). Looking for any suggestions on what I might try. NetGear support won't help at all because I bought this router years ago. Thanks for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't connect new computer to WNDR4500 via WiFi

I suggest that you create a backup file for the router settings, and also take screen grabs / notes manually. Factory reset the router then set the wireless parameters as required, and see if the MacPro is then able to connect. If it does try loading the configuration file and see how that goes. If it fails with the config file then factory reset again and re-enter all settings manually.
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thank you, Andy. Starting over with new router settings was what I was going to try as a last resort. Should have tried that sooner rather than trying to figure out what was wrong I guess. Thanks for spurring me into just biting the bullet and doing that.

I tried your suggestion of backing up the current settings and resetting. After the reset, the new computer could connect with the default router settings, but as soon as I restored the saved router settings, it couldn't connect any more. So there must have been something buried/hidden in those settings.

So, I reset the router and redid all of the settings manually from scratch (I had a lot of reserved addresses, which was the most tedious part, but not too terrible). And, it is working now, the new computer can connect. So, all is good.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

CraigInSF wrote:
Should have tried that sooner rather than trying to figure out what was wrong I guess.

Actually, I think you were right to hold off in case there was a simpler solution, but when I read your symptoms and how you arrived at the situation you had, I thought that it was most likely incompatible settings retained from an earlier firmware version. It was wishful thinking on my part that a saved configuration file might ‘lose’ that incompatible data, clearly it didn’t.

I suggest that you now make a new saved settings backup.
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements